Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPU D3D Memory Dedicated and GPU-Z/ Radeon Overlay VRAM reading mismatch
Hi Martin,

I just realized that the actual VRAM usage isn't reflected in hwinfo, is this intentional?

GPU-Z and Radeon Overlay is reporting 5.5GB of VRAM usage, while hwinfo is only showing 3.4GB of D3D memory dedicated. Is there any way to show actual VRAM usage using  hwinfo?

[Image: temp8ar9l.jpg]

Thanks!
Reporting GPU VRAM usage on AMD is problematic.
I'm not sure which of these values is correct, for example on Radeon Vega 8 (Ryzen 5 2500U) GPU-Z reports 22 GBytes used, which is certainly wrong.
But I will check this...
(03-27-2018, 02:03 PM)Martin Wrote: Reporting GPU VRAM usage on AMD is problematic.
I'm not sure which of these values is correct, for example on Radeon Vega 8 (Ryzen 5 2500U) GPU-Z reports 22 GBytes used, which is certainly wrong.
But I will check this...

Could it be that the Ryzen 5 2500U uses integrated memory/ RAM hence it just includes all the system ram together into the calculation?

I also tried Radeon Overlay which is provided by AMD's driver, the readings on the VRAM is the same as GPU-Z too.

UPDATE:
After using Radeon Overlay after a extended period of time, the readings of the VRAM suddenly became very close to the GPU D3D Memory Dedicated readings, only about 200mb difference. Back when I first posted my findings here, the difference were almost 2GB. Indeed I think the reporting of GPU VRAM usage on AMD is finicky, even on their own official drivers...

I guess I will just stick to hwinfo's GPU D3D Memory Dedicated readings.  Cool
Thanks for the feedback.
Meanwhile I found how to determine the same usage value as reported by Radeon Overlay or GPU-Z. This will be added in the next HWiNFO build Wink
Please try the new v5.79-3390 Beta, it features a new GPU memory usage sensor.
(03-29-2018, 11:03 AM)Martin Wrote: Please try the new v5.79-3390 Beta, it features a new GPU memory usage sensor.

I'm currently using v5.79-3395 Beta. So far so good, I will continue using both D3D and the new memory sensor for the time being. Smile