Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HWiNFO64 v.4.48 shows VMX is disabled
The software somehow shows VMX is disabled. I checked the BIOS, it's enabled there (feature called "virtualization"). Is it really disabled and do I need to enable it?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think VMX is really disabled on your machine (maybe a BIOS bug, or on OS level), but to be sure please attach the HWiNFO Debug File to check in detail.
Here's the file attached.

Attached Files
.dbg   HWiNFO64.DBG (Size: 1,021.98 KB / Downloads: 3)
The dump confirms VMX is not enabled in your system.
To get another opinion, I suggest to try the "Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool", which you can download here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...spx?id=592
Please let me know the results.
The tool you suggested doesn't work for win 8. I tried Intel® Processor Identification Utility instead and it sure says the processor supports VMX. It doesn't say whether it's enabled or not.
Would appreciate your advise on how to enable it.
I suggest to contact DELL/Alienware since they are the manufacturer and it might be a bug in the BIOS.
Update on this. A couple of days days ago I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 on my laptop. After that VMX did appear as enabled (green in HWiNFO) but today I've noticed VMX was red again. How's that even possible? I did update BIOS to A10 during clean install but I didn't make any changes in it. I did install XTU just to check what it shows but again I didn't make any changes in it as well and then uninstalled it.
I'm not sure what it could be, but it disabled VMX and locks the register so it can't be enabled until next reboot.
Maybe some update or tool you have installed ?
I think it is because of some overclocking software. VMX got disabled after I installed XTU and recently after I installed MSI afterburner.