System crash (BSOD) or disappearing of drives when using ASMedia SATA or USB drivers

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Due to the growing amount of problems I'm receiving that are caused by ASMedia SATA or USB drivers handling devices connected to those controllers, I'm publishing more details including a guide how to resolve these problems.
HWiNFO performs standard queries to storage (SATA) and USB drivers, but under some specific scenarios ASMedia drivers don't handle these requests properly and can cause several problems including a system crash/BSOD, HWiNFO crash or disappearing or connected devices. Since other drivers including default SATA AHCI don't cause any problems, it is believed the problem is in the low quality and reliability of ASMedia drivers. We have tried to contact ASMedia about these problems, but haven't received any response yet.
The workaround is to either upgrade or replace the ASMedia drivers with standard (Microsoft) drivers.

Here's a step by step guide how to replace the ASMedia SATA driver (created under Windows 10):

1. Open the Windows Device Manager. This can be done either by pressing the Win+Break key and clicking Device Manager on the left side, or on Windows 10 right-clicking on the Windows icon in task bar and then Device Manager.
2. Locate the ASMedia controller. This can be either under the "Storage controllers" or "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" node:
asm1.png
3. Double-click on the device and switch to the Driver tab. This should list the Driver Provider as "Asmedia Technology". Click the "Update Driver" button
asm2.png
4. As first it's recommended to upgrade the driver to the latest version (at least 3.2.3.0). For this, click the "Search automatically for updated driver software".
If Windows finds a new driver, installs it (a reboot might be required) then verify in HWiNFO if this solved the problem. If not, please repeat the procedure from 1. and continue with the following steps.
If the latest offered ASMedia driver didn't solve the problem, continue to replace it with the Microsoft driver: Choose the "Browse my computer for driver software" option
asm3.png
5. Click the "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" option
asm4.png
6. Choose the "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" driver and click "Next"
asm5.png
7. Windows will require a system reboot to finish the replacement.

A similar process will apply in case of the ASMedia USB host controller driver.

Last edited:
Back