Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inspiron 15 1564 fan
My wife's Inspiron has been shutting down frequently, usually after about 20 minutes of use. HWInfo shows the temperature rising constantly, so I've shown her how to watch for red and then do a normal shutdown rather than have it crash. This is not ideal of course.

I suspect the fan may have failed completely - I can't hear it, and can't feel any airflow. But I don't see where fan speed is reported in HWInfo. Am I missing something? I haven't tried to use Fan Control because I have no idea what settings would be appropriate for this model. Does anyone have an idea what values to use?
If you see the DELL EC sensor, but no fan is listed there, then indeed the fan might have failed completely or the firmware cannot read its speed.
You can setup your own alarm thresholds with actions to shutdown the system automatically (run the "shutdown /s /t 0" command as action).
Without further details it's difficult to know what values are critical, but I'd say >90 C in general. Or check the Distance From Tj,max value, it should not be less than 5-10 C.
Alternatively you can setup the alarm to be activated when the Thermal Throttling status is indicated.
For fan control you might use similar reference values, but if the fan failed completely, then it might be useless.
(05-16-2018, 11:54 AM)khongkhisach Wrote: My wife's Inspiron has been shutting down frequently, usually after about 20 minutes of use. HWInfo shows the temperature rising constantly, so I've shown her how to watch for red and then do a normal shutdown rather than have it crash. This is not ideal of course.

I suspect the fan may have failed completely - I can't hear it, and can't feel any airflow. But I don't see where fan speed is reported in HWInfo. Am I missing something? I haven't tried to use Fan Control because I have no idea what settings would be appropriate for this model. Does anyone have an idea what values to use?

no doubt these system due to their compact space gets overheat, that's why you should always clean it. But in your case if you are really think that your fan is not working even your system temperature rises. Or you are not feeling air pressure coming out of then it a serious problem. I would suggest that take out that fan check for it's model number and try to look on pcpartpicker or Amazon sites. Buy it.
It will surely solve the problem.