Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SMART false positive
My father has an old Asus G73JW laptop. I believe it's a first generation i7. I had him run HWiNFO because I wanted to make sure his fans were running. It's been overheating due to old TIM. He noticed that it said "failure" on one of his HDDs. I had him run CrystalDiskInfo to double check the SMART status. CDI didn't report any errors. Is it possible that HWiNFO is reporting a false positive?
It is possible that some of the SMART thresholds are set too restrictive by the firmware for non-critical values. I know that CrystalDiskInfo has a certain tolerance for some parameters. But it's hard to say more without knowing exactly which SMART parameter is causing this and what's the actual value.
(12-21-2015, 04:37 PM)Martin Wrote: It is possible that some of the SMART thresholds are set too restrictive by the firmware for non-critical values. I know that CrystalDiskInfo has a certain tolerance for some parameters. But it's hard to say more without knowing exactly which SMART parameter is causing this and what's the actual value.

How do I check the value that is causing the "failure" to be reported? I believe it just shows either "yes" or "no".
You will need to check in the main window with the complete list of hardware (a tree on the left side). Find that drive and check the S.M.A.R.T. details.
(12-22-2015, 08:16 AM)Martin Wrote: You will need to check in the main window with the complete list of hardware (a tree on the left side). Find that drive and check the S.M.A.R.T. details.

I found it. Thanks again. I've only been using this application for a few months and up to this point just the sensors really. I used Open Hardware Monitor for a long time, which a great application and occasionally HWMonitor too, but of the 3 this is by far my favorite.

Big Grin