Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solved HDD Clicking noise
Hi!

When I use HWInfo sensors my HDD make some clicking noise. Noise frequency is the same of fastest sensor (ex. If I set 1000ms instead of 2000ms on any sensor, clicking noise has the same frequency). If I turn off HWInfo the clicking noise disappears.

Any help? I used to start HWInfo with windows, but now I've to disable it, the noise is annoyng (and maybe dangerous for my HDD).

Thank you!
Please try to disable monitoring of the entire disk SMART sensor - right-click on the "S.M.A.R.T." sensor name (under which you see the disk temperature) and select "Disable Monitoring".
If that helps, then the problem is probably in the storage (ATA/SATA) driver and updating this driver might fix this problem.
(01-23-2013, 12:56 PM)Martin Wrote: Please try to disable monitoring of the entire disk SMART sensor - right-click on the "S.M.A.R.T." sensor name (under which you see the disk temperature) and select "Disable Monitoring".
If that helps, then the problem is probably in the storage (ATA/SATA) driver and updating this driver might fix this problem.

Nothing changed, sorry. My SATA driver is the latest one (INTEL).
I've an Asus g74sx laptop with a Corsair Force GT SDD.
Please attach a screenshot of your sensors window so I can see all the items there.
And maybe try to disable other sensors one-by-one to find out which one is causing it.
I'll try asap.

Found it! It's my secondary HDD (ST9500...) Here:

Great that you found it Smile Now you can enable the other items back and leave just the ST9500.. SMART disabled until there's a driver update available which fixes this issue.
(01-23-2013, 08:52 PM)Martin Wrote: Great that you found it Smile Now you can enable the other items back and leave just the ST9500.. SMART disabled until there's a driver update available which fixes this issue.

Do you mean Intel controller driver or hdd drive (firmware)?

It seems a mechanic problem.
Hard to say what is exactly the cause. Maybe the drive is put into stand-by mode and the query for temperature/SMART data is causing it periodically to wake up. Could be caused by the RST driver or maybe by firmware as well.
(01-23-2013, 09:09 PM)Martin Wrote: Hard to say what is exactly the cause. Maybe the drive is put into stand-by mode and the query for temperature/SMART data is causing it periodically to wake up. Could be caused by the RST driver or maybe by firmware as well.

I think is stand-by, because the secondary hdd is almost never used (backup, large files, etc). Do you think it's safe to use sensor monitoring on it?
I'm sorry, I don't know. But if it's not used then you probably don't need to monitor its temperature.
You could also try to perform some operations with the disk (copy files, etc), then immediately launch HWiNFO and monitor the temperature. If it immediately does the clicking noise, then it's not because of stand-by (since the drive probably wasn't idle enough to be put into stand-by). Or try both in parallel - copy file and monitor...
(01-23-2013, 09:40 PM)Martin Wrote: I'm sorry, I don't know. But if it's not used then you probably don't need to monitor its temperature.
You could also try to perform some operations with the disk (copy files, etc), then immediately launch HWiNFO and monitor the temperature. If it immediately does the clicking noise, then it's not because of stand-by (since the drive probably wasn't idle enough to be put into stand-by). Or try both in parallel - copy file and monitor...

Thank you! Big Grin