Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solved HDD tranfer rates monitoring
Guys, this maybe a silly question but, is there anyway to add and monitor HDD trasfer rates? write speed, read speed, etc?
Disk and network I/O statistics are on my to-do list.
thanks Big Grin

Love the software Big Grin
I'm currently working on drive read/write/total activity monitoring and I hope to release this feature the next week.
yeah i hope so... and thanks Big Grin
Has been released in v4.27-2035 Beta Wink
yeah.. its just %.. well it could have been better if we could see whats the MB/s transfers, or just add a way to get data from the perform monitor.. a lot of features can be added that way Big Grin

(i need to see the HDD usage when i am recording games, like how much data is being written persec, and with that i can optimise the clarity which i should be recording without stressing my HDD)

Thanks for your replies
I'll check how it would be possible to report transfer rates...
The actual read/write transfer rate will be reported in the next build released.
Looking forward to this feature Smile

BTW, will this work with internal drives only or will external drives (USB, Networked Drive) work too?
It should work with USB drives as well.
Check the new v4.27-2040 Beta released.
You might need to press the "Restore Original Order" button in Sensors/Layout for the new items to reordered under particular sensors.
awesome!! thank you!!! Big Grin
Thanks very much! It is working on my internal and USB Drives.

BTW, is it possible that you have the S.M.A.R.T. info and the transfer data under a single Disk Entry instead of two separate ones which is how it is currently done?
(11-23-2013, 03:47 AM)PantherX Wrote: Thanks very much! It is working on my internal and USB Drives.

BTW, is it possible that you have the S.M.A.R.T. info and the transfer data under a single Disk Entry instead of two separate ones which is how it is currently done?

Originally I wanted to do it that way, but unfortunately it's not always possible to know the exact linkage between these two kinds of sensors.
Okay, thanks for the clarification.
Hi Martin, just tried the '2050 Beta with drive transfer rate monitoring, working fine for me, nice work and thanks!

A few comments and questions:

What defines or indicates 100% Read or Write activity? Just curious what is checked, or how this is determined.

Same thing for various percentages (5%, 50%, etc) of read/write activity, what is the criteria?

Maximum total activity does not make sense to me, although I just saw a simultaneous Read and Write activity %, if that is actually possible.

The Minimum activity column may not be of much use to PC users, as all I get is 0.0%.

FYI, I ran just the Sequential Read and Write test in AS SSD on a SSD with HWiNFO running. The Read and Write speeds in each did not match exactly, the HWiNFO reading being higher by ~3-4%. I'm not implying that one or the other is correct, since I sure can't prove one or the other.

This new feature is a great one, and will be very interesting and educational over time.
ASRock Z97 Extreme6  Intel Xeon E3-1276 v3  Scythe Mugen 4
16GB Samsung M3V 2000MTs 1.35V
SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB Windows 8.1 UEFI boot
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB x 2 RAID 0 Windows 10 TP UEFI boot
Samsung 830 256GB x 2 RAID 0
EVGA GTX 760
Dell P2714H
Dell U2312HM
ASUS VS24A
Seasonic X660 XP2 PSU
Fractal Define R4
The percentage of read/write activity is the ratio of time the drive spends with read/write operations (i.e. if the drive spends 1 second of read operations during the last 100 seconds, the read activity is 1%). This is a value reported by the storage subsystem.
The Total Activity is just the sum of both read+write values.
Thanks Martin, so the percentage is not something you are calculating, interesting.

Sorry, but the explanation is to simplistic for me, I'll need to look into that, if I knew where to look...

IMO, this is the best new feature you've added since DRAM power and chipset temperature! Thanks again!
ASRock Z97 Extreme6  Intel Xeon E3-1276 v3  Scythe Mugen 4
16GB Samsung M3V 2000MTs 1.35V
SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB Windows 8.1 UEFI boot
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB x 2 RAID 0 Windows 10 TP UEFI boot
Samsung 830 256GB x 2 RAID 0
EVGA GTX 760
Dell P2714H
Dell U2312HM
ASUS VS24A
Seasonic X660 XP2 PSU
Fractal Define R4
(12-05-2013, 06:12 AM)parsec Wrote: ...Sorry, but the explanation is to simplistic for me, I'll need to look into that, if I knew where to look...
Unless I am mistaken, the reported values for the disks are the same in Windows 8 Task Manager. If that's the case, than the values are obtained from Resource Monitor (Windows 7+) so you can read about the disk section in this article (http://www.7tutorials.com/how-use-resour...-windows-7)