Any way to detect NVMe even if NVMe drive is not installed?

junky

Hi

1. I understand that unless an NVMe drive (SSD) is installed in the port, the HWInfo currently not showing it?
2. If so, is there any way to activate it somehow, without installing a drive? 

Thanks

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean with "installing". Is that related to installing the driver for it, or physically installing the drive into slot ?
Anyway, without a driver for the NVMe it's not possible to detect it. This would require low-level direct HW-access to the drive and such method could cause problems.

Martin said:
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean with "installing". Is that related to installing the driver for it, or physically installing the drive into slot ?
Anyway, without a driver for the NVMe it's not possible to detect it. This would require low-level direct HW-access to the drive and such method could cause problems.

I mean physically
Well, can the driver be installed without the SSD physically installed and be used to detect it?

No. A driver requires the device to be present and communicate with it. Otherwise to what would be the driver talking, air inside the empty socket? ;)

Martin said:
No. A driver requires the device to be present and communicate with it. Otherwise to what would be the driver talking, air inside the empty socket? ;)

Maybe some ghost? any kind of dummy?
I'm not familiar with the architecture, thought maybe you could emulate a device and somehow it will result in the ability to load the driver

Sorry, but I don't understand the point of needing something like this.
Anyway, such an emulation of hardware devices would be possible only under virtual machines. But I doubt anyone would be willing to do something like that.

Martin said:
Sorry, but I don't understand the point of needing something like this.
Anyway, such an emulation of hardware devices would be possible only under virtual machines. But I doubt anyone would be willing to do something like that.

Well, I'm using HWInfo to see what buses are available on a motherboard (laptop) quite often. The way it is now, I don't know if it supports NVMe/PCIe unless I plug in an NMVe SSD - something I don't want to deal with

You might check the SMBIOS DMI data if it lists an M.2 connector.
But this information solely depends on BIOS/system manufacturer if they populate this information properly. No slot presece detection possible I'm afraid.

Back