Asus Maximus X Hero wifi VRM Sensor

SpeedyIV

[font=Roboto,]Does anyone know for sure if there is in fact a VRM Sensor on the Asus Maximus X Hero wifi? If there is, I can't see it in the BIOS, or HWiNFO64, AIDA, or SIV. [/font]There is a guy on OC.net that claims HWiNFO is showing a VRM sensor value but he sees nothing in the BIOS (which I believe but don't understand). Someone on the ROG board claims the VRM sensor is there on the HERO and a corrupt BIOS flash may cause it to not appear in the BIOS. He re-flashed and it appeared. I have tried that and everything else I can think of and cannot see a VRM sensor in the BIOS, in HWiNFO, AIDA64, or SIV.

[font=Roboto,]I Googled reviews and found 5 of them that included BIOS screen shots of the Monitor screen. None of them show a VRM Sensor (and none of the reviews mentioned it's absence). SIV shows a register but it has 0's in it. The VRM Sensor should show up in the EC bus, which I believe AIDA does not monitor due to system stability concerns. HWiNFO has the option, and when enabled, several values show up but no VRM Sensor. Asus has been silent on the matter. Does anyone know if the VRM Sensor exists on the Maximus X Hero and Hero wifi?[/font]

[font=Roboto,]Thanks![/font]

Well, the thing is that there are different versions of the Maximus X boards - some can measure the VRM temperatures, some cannot. It's due to a slight difference in hardware design.

Thanks for your response. May I ask how you know this? What is the slight difference in hardware design? No VRM temp sensor? Is there a way to definitively determine if my board has the sensor or not? Maybe by serial number or board Rev number? Their marketing indicates VRM sensor is present and in my case it apparently is not. I would consider this to be a "defect" and am debating whether this is worthy of an RMA, with no guarantee that a replacement board will have the sensor. Also, how can HWINFO monitor it when it does not appear in the BIOS, as some have claimed? Could it actually be one of the "mystery" temps reported (not through EC)?

This has been driving me nuts! Thanks again and in advance.

AFAIK the difference is in the VRM PWM chip used. One can monitor the temperature, while another one cannot.
If you're using the latest BIOS and neither the BIOS, nor HWiNFO show the VRM temperature, then I believe your board doesn't support it.
If the BIOS doesn't report it, but HWiNFO does, then the user might be using a BIOS which doesn't support it, but the EC provides this value.

Martin said:
AFAIK the difference is in the VRM PWM chip used. One can monitor the temperature, while another one cannot.
If you're using the latest BIOS and neither the BIOS, nor HWiNFO show the VRM temperature, then I believe your board doesn't support it.
If the BIOS doesn't report it, but HWiNFO does, then the user might be using a BIOS which doesn't support it, but the EC provides this value.
Thank you. That makes perfect sense. Sounds like Asus changed a component and the alternate does not report VRM temp. One person that I know of posted that HWiNFO would report it, in EC section, though it was not in BIOS. Perhaps Asus was aware that the alternate PWM chip did not report the temp, so they removed it from later BIOS releases. The person who can see it in HWiNFO but not the BIOS must have a MOBO with the original PWM chip and a later BIOS. Just a theory. Thanks again.

Back