Beta 631_4255 crashes while detecting graphic card

DvL

Windows 10 Pro Build 19042.487 (64bit)
HWiNFO 631.4255 (beta)
MB: MSI MS-17E9 - Intel HM470 (Comet Lake PCH-H)
CPU: Intel Core i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz (Comet Lake-H)
GPU #0: Intel UHD Graphics (Comet Lake-H GT2) [R1] [MSI]
GPU #1: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (TU104M) [MSI]

When I start HWiNFO it shows the first screen ("run" - "setting").
When I click run, it starts "Examining the system" and gets as far as "Detecting Video Adapters" then it crashes.
This happens on every start, also while using "Administrator".
Debug enabled but no HWiNDO64.dgb is created.

Extract from Windows reports:
Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: HWiNFO64.exe, Version: 6.31.4255.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5f58c8bd
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: ze_intel_gpu64.dll, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5f3a3313
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x000000000007a15f
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x530c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d688143fa84346
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: D:\System\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_c5303d4214993531\ze_intel_gpu64.dll
Berichtskennung: 0d214b1d-cbcf-4245-990e-aa99b56fd846
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

Details:

System

-Provider
[ Name] Application Error

-EventID1000
[ Qualifiers] 0

Version0

Level2

Task100

Opcode0

Keywords0x80000000000000

-TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2020-09-11T08:19:27.6108843Z

EventRecordID10687

Correlation

-Execution
[ ProcessID] 0
[ ThreadID] 0

ChannelApplication

ComputerDirkLap

Security

-EventData

HWiNFO64.exe

5f58c8bd

ze_intel_gpu64.dll

5f3a3313

c0000005

000000000007a15f

530c

01d688143fa84346

D:\System\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_c5303d4214993531\ze_intel_gpu64.dll

0d214b1d-cbcf-4245-990e-aa99b56fd846

HWiNFO 631.4245 and before just worked perfect.
Also the HWiNFO64.dbg is created.

Regards,
Dirk

Can you please try again to run buld 4245 in Debug Mode? I'm pretty sure some DBG file should be created and I need that file to determine the cause.

Last edited:
It didn't create a DBG file... till I unchecked "Debug Write Direct".
Then I got a DBG file, attached!

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    820.2 KB · Views: 2
Thank you, I'm checking this.
Looks like this is a problem due to a recent update in HWiNFO that added improved support of Intel GPUs via oneAPI. Your IGPU driver has also added support of oneAPI, but there seems to be a bug in this layer. I will need to check this with Intel.
What is your Intel graphics driver version?

Last edited:
Try also disabling (in BIOS settings) the IGP built into the CPU - this will reduce the likelihood of conflicts for interrupts and driver errors, as well as reduce the power dissipated by the CPU by a few watts, which will simplify its cooling. For example, the i7-2600 IGP built into the CPU when it is turned on consumes 9.8 watts, regardless of its use, when it is turned off, its consumption is reduced to 0.3 watts. This can be critical if the CPU cooling system does not have a performance headroom.

For example CPU i5 / i7 (TDP 95 W) Sandy Brige and cooler Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 (declared power dissipation up to 150 W, recommended TDP 115 W) - when the CPU reaches the maximum frequency Tusbo Boost, even if IGP is turned off, the power dissipated reaches 116 - 118 W and the core temperature is +93 degrees Celsius at a temperature in the case of +35 degrees Celsius. This means that this cooler is working at the limit of its capabilities and I am planning to replace it with the SnowMan M-T4 - that one can handle the Xeon E5-2667 (TDP 130 W) freely - it is in my workstation.

Intel driver updated to 27.20.100.8691 - still HWiNFO64 crashes.
DBG file attached.
@Martin
Which version of oneAPI are you using to develop your software?
...8691 is only supporting Beta 9.

@VictorVG
Why should I do this? The Intel GPU is used for standard apps and work, the NVIDIA GPU for gaming and multimedia editing.
Do you take the navigation or radio out of your car if it doesn*t start?
It worked till version 631.4245 so it is a software bug (no critizism meant, Martin).
By the way if you look at my configuration description you might see there is no i7-2600 IGP nor an i5 or any Sandy Bridge.
And certainly no Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro ;)

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    820.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Understand, and there is no driver with oneAPI 1.0 support available yet....
I will use HWiNFO 631.4245 till a compatible driver is available,

As per release notes of 27.20.100.8691:
Level Zero support has been uplifted to v1.0 of the API.

That actually means oneAPI 1.0 should be supported.
But the problem seems to be inside the driver's oneAPI implementation. I will investigate this closer and see if there's some workaround possible to avoid the crash.

@VictorVG
Why should I do this? The Intel GPU is used for standard apps and work, the NVIDIA GPU for gaming and multimedia editing.
Do you take the navigation or radio out of your car if it doesn*t start?
It worked till version 631.4245 so it is a software bug (no critizism meant, Martin).
By the way if you look at my configuration description you might see there is no i7-2600 IGP nor an i5 or any Sandy Bridge.
And certainly no Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro ;)
Regardless of the oneAPI issue, you should disable the iGPU on CPU especially on a laptop with a discrete GPU onboard.
What @VictorVG is saying is that iGPU “steals“ power headroom from the entire CPU package power limit. Giving to the actual CPU cores an extra 5-10W headroom that iGPU is drawing when enabled can make your CPU clock higher, run faster and maybe cooler.
VictorVG was only trying to make a point by giving you examples, and didn’t imply that you have those coolers and CPUs.

iGPUs are meant (IMHO) for systems lacking discrete GPUs. Using them when you have a discrete GPU on a laptop is like trying to cool a warm house or a car with an air conditioner set to cold with closed windows when outside is winter... It only draws power

Thanks for the new report. It confirms by assumption, this is clearly a bug in oneAPI implementation in the graphics driver. I will submit this to Intel.

Regardless of the oneAPI issue, you should disable the iGPU on CPU especially on a laptop with a discrete GPU onboard.
What @VictorVG is saying is that iGPU “steals“ power headroom from the entire CPU package power limit. Giving to the actual CPU cores an extra 5-10W headroom that iGPU is drawing when enabled can make your CPU clock higher, run faster and maybe cooler.
VictorVG was only trying to make a point by giving you examples, and didn’t imply that you have those coolers and CPUs.

iGPUs are meant (IMHO) for systems lacking discrete GPUs. Using them when you have a discrete GPU on a laptop is like trying to cool a warm house or a car with an air conditioner set to cold with closed windows when outside is winter... It only draws power

Wow, this goes against anything I learned in Physics....
You really think that an iGPU "draws only power"?
And what is a dGPU using? Oxygen? Water?
A NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super has a max. TDP of 215 Watt...
and the Intel iGPU? Max. 15 Watt!
You'll never get a CPU to compensate this difference by "running cooler" :cool:
And this is true for every configuration.

iGPU are used for non graphic-heavy usage scenarios, dGPU are meant for graphic-heavy scenarios.
iGPU can save a lot of "power" meaning battery. No pro for desktops but vital for notebooks.

If you don't know my computing usage and behaviour I'll call you ignorant if you give such unrelevant and therefore false "advices"!

Calm down. What Zach meant is that the CPU package shares power between CPU and IGPU cores. So disabling the IGPU will give more headroom to the CPU cores.

Thank you Martin
Wow, this goes against anything I learned in Physics....
You really think that an iGPU "draws only power"?
And what is a dGPU using? Oxygen? Water?
A NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super has a max. TDP of 215 Watt...
and the Intel iGPU? Max. 15 Watt!
You'll never get a CPU to compensate this difference by "running cooler" :cool:
And this is true for every configuration.

iGPU are used for non, dGPU are meant for graphic-heavy scenarios.
iGPU can save a lot of "power" meaning battery. No pro for desktops but vital for notebooks.

If you don't know my computing usage and behaviour I'll call you ignorant if you give such unrelevant and therefore false "advices"!
My dGPU on my desktop PC draws only 8-10W when “used for non graphic-heavy usage scenarios” but when gaming can pass 200W. So what is the point of having an iGPU enabled (if I actually had one available)?
Dont you understand that having them both enabled is a waste of power? Power headroom that it is literally stolen from total CPU power package. Power deprived from CPU cores. Power that it is added to the CPU package and have it reach the limit earlier so the CPU cores have to slow down to preserve the whatever limit. Power that it is added to the CPU package cooler to dissipate.
Inefficient setup that is... and 5 or 10W on mobile devices matter.

So please, before calling anyone ignorant try first to be as sure as possible that you understand what one is saying or trying to say.

No offense taken! I’ve been there my self.
I’ve been writing and having conversations too many years on PC tech forums and I know by now that sharing ideas and knowledge with written language is a lot harder that anyone can imagine. Especially when you don’t do it on your mother language.
Maybe I wasn’t clear enough about what I (or Victor) was trying to say.

Last edited:
I made some progress and figured out a workaround to solve this crash. One needs to set the ZES_ENABLE_SYSMAN environment variable to 1.
This is a unique Intel "feature" in current iGPU driver oneAPI implementation. Hopefully it's not intentional and will be fixed in the next driver version.

Last edited:
To resolve the problem with oneAPI support in current Intel graphics drivers, here's a new build that adds a switch to enable support of oneAPI (default state is Disabled): www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi64_631_4257.zip
To make use of oneAPI (which allows providing more information about Intel GPUs) it is currently required to set the ZES_ENABLE_SYSMAN environment variable to 1.

Back