Bug: Hwinfo 4.30 hangs while detecting hard drives.

Nofew

Whenever Hwinfo64 4.30 is run, it freezes up while it's trying to detect my hard drives. Hwinfo 4.10 works just fine.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

There'ya go! I'm not sure how useful it'll be since it didn't even completely start up, but yeah.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    362.9 KB · Views: 4
Thanks.
Please try to upgrade the Intel Rapid Storage driver to the latest version available.
If that doesn't help, you'll need to disable IDE/SATA Drive scan in HWiNFO.

I don't see how it'd help. I don't actually /use/ that driver. My laptop has a RAID controller but I have it deactivated. (HwInfo hangs with it enabled, too.) I'd really rather not mess with any new versions, weird gut instinct saying not to go play with it. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck, though.

Updating storage driver might help, because HWiNFO hung when it asked that driver for SMART information. So in fact it hangs inside the driver.
Disabling IDE/SATA Drive scan in HWiNFO won't mess with your system in any way, HWiNFO will just skip that step, so it should work then...

Oh, it works fine when I disable it, but I don't have any reason to use 4.30 unless that feature works.

I doubt it's SMART that's at fault. Other programs read it just fine from both hard drives.

If it's any help, here's an NFO of my system. It might be able to give you what was missing from the debug report: http://ompldr.org/vaHV5Ng/17.7z (Had to link to it, forum wasn't letting me upload it.)

EDIT: Finally got it, it was what you said. I still find it weird though how everything but HwInfo worked fine without it.

Nofew said:
Oh, it works fine when I disable it, but I don't have any reason to use 4.30 unless that feature works.
EDIT: Finally got it, it was what you said. I still find it weird though how everything but HwInfo worked fine without it.

I have exactly the same problem (and probably others too). Apparently HWINFO doesn't have to crash by design when it's unable to detect SMART from some of the drives... It would have been much more elegant solution to warn the user and run with the rest of the features as it should. (Also previous versions didn't have this issue as far as I can tell, so I wonder why is this a problem for version 4.30).

The HWiNFO version in the name of this topic and below is not correct, since v4.30 has been released yesterday. So this problem is not related only to version 4.30.
Some time ago I have changed the way how HWiNFO enumerates drives. The process is quite complicated, but consists of querying the storage drivers using specific methods - some of them are standardized (like CSMI SAS), some are specific for certain controllers. Unfortunately certain storage drivers (or certain versions of these drivers) can crash when they receive a query which they don't understand/interpret properly.
If you would attach the HWiNFO Debug File I can check if there's something I can do about your problem.

Back