Can't see Fan control icon in HWinfo on my AW15 Laptop

Bilun

About two months back I got a 15 inch Alienware laptop(literally the one sold here for specs:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SIJGGGC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00)

It's been getting fairly hot and it occurred to me that in the entire time I've had it I've never actually heard the fan or felt air coming from the vents on the bottom.

When I've checked the cpu temperatures have usually been in the 60-65 degrees celsius range even while just browsing the internet.

So I thought I'd try some manual fan control to at least be sure the fans are working.

All of the guides related to AW15 seem to suggest using HWinfo, So I downloaded and installed the 64 bit version but I'm not seeing the fan icon described in the Sensor window- what I See is:

s67p14.png

Every other screenshot I've seen in guides and whatnot has a fan icon down at the bottom of this window where I don't have anything- 

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Bilun said:
About two months back I got a 15 inch Alienware laptop(literally the one sold here for specs:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SIJGGGC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00)

It's been getting fairly hot and it occurred to me that in the entire time I've had it I've never actually heard the fan or felt air coming from the vents on the bottom.

When I've checked the cpu temperatures have usually been in the 60-65 degrees celsius range even while just browsing the internet.

So I thought I'd try some manual fan control to at least be sure the fans are working.

All of the guides related to AW15 seem to suggest using HWinfo, So I downloaded and installed the 64 bit version but I'm not seeing the fan icon described in the Sensor window- what I See is:

s67p14.png

Every other screenshot I've seen in guides and whatnot has a fan icon down at the bottom of this window where I don't have anything- 

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
download the latest beta version  martin added to it support for the new aw laptops

Thanks for the reply!

I just downloaded the latest beta, and my sensors window still looks exactly the same(well barring the version number at top, but still no fan settings button)- Are there any settings I should have to mess with?

Thanks. I'll need you to create one more Debug File using this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw64_503_2598.zip
Please make sure to open the sensors window, leave it active for a few seconds and close.
I should be then able to see whether your model can be supported.

Wow, that version actually seems to support my laptop just fine- The link to latest beta version on the website gave me vhw64_503_2595- guess I just somehow missed the actual latest version.

Well that's problem solved I suppose- thanks for the help!

Does it mean you can see the fan speed and can control them with the latest build I sent you (2598) or with the Beta 2595 on the web ?

With the web version beta 2595 I couldn't see/access Fan controls still.

It started working for me only with the 2598 you gave me.

Can you please attach a new Debug File as described before using that version?
It's for my reference, so I know details about your model.

Ok, here it is- I'm off to dinner now, I'll check back inc ase you need anything else soon as I get back

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    542.2 KB · Views: 17
Thanks.
Interesting that your Alienware 15 uses the same Compal project code as the Alienware 17 R2.

I have the same laptop and when I installed the latest beta (5.03 2600) I got an interesting popup that I will attach. I selected 'continue anyways' and the little fan icon appears. Should I have disabled it?

Attachments

• 5.03.jpg
    5.03.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 39
Thanks Martin. One thing that still lingers is that under the fan option, Fan 1 and 2 are linked together but when it's used, only Fan 1(left) operates. Fan 2 (right) still doesn't activate.

Attachments

• fan1.jpg
    fan1.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 31
zach9054 said:
Thanks Martin. One thing that still lingers is that under the fan option, Fan 1 and 2 are linked together but when it's used, only Fan 1(left) operates. Fan 2 (right) still doesn't activate.

If you enable the COMPAL EC sensor, how many fan speeds do you see reported ?

Martin said:
zach9054 said:

If you enable the COMPAL EC sensor, how many fan speeds do you see reported ?

Only one fan is shown. hwinfo states it is the cpu fan. AW15 service manual confirms this but the left fan (fan 2) which cools the gpu is not shown and remains unactive

Attachments

• awLfan.jpg
    awLfan.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 30
Please enable Debug Mode in HWiNFO, let the sensors run for a minute while you're sure that the GPU fan is spinning. Then close HWiNFO and attach here the produced HWiNFO64.DBG file for analysis.

Martin said:
Please enable Debug Mode in HWiNFO, let the sensors run for a minute while you're sure that the GPU fan is spinning. Then close HWiNFO and attach here the produced HWiNFO64.DBG file for analysis.

I loaded up the Witcher 2 which should have made gpu fan 2 start up. Couldn't tell if it was running. If it was, it was going at a fraction of the speed that fan 1 was

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG.7z
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
zach9054 said:
Martin said:

I loaded up the Witcher 2 which should have made gpu fan 2 start up. Couldn't tell if it was running. If it was, it was going at a fraction of the speed that fan 1 was

I found a way to force fan 2 to move. There is another fan program called speedfan. Its buggy and horrible and when its active it causes weird sound glitches so I don't use it. But if i open it, it makes both fans move. So I turned on HWinfo and speedfan at the same time, that way HWinfo can hopefully record fan 2's movement. Here is a .dbg file when I did that. Only issue is technically they were both controlling fan 1 at the same time so the debug file's info on fan 1 might be off

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG.7z
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
Back