Case Intake/Exhaust Fan Speeds

baumgrenze

Is it possible to monitor the RPM of the 12 cm intake and exhaust fans on my Lian Li PC-B25B. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Intel P35 ATX (rev. 2.1).

I ask because I could hear a faint ticking sound. I opened the case and one of the front intake fans appeared to be running slower than the other.

I pulled the front bezel (the one PITA with the Lian Li PC-G25B) and the fans seem to be running quietly without filters, so it might have been filter medium contacting the fan blades.

As I did a restart, I also noticed that the lower fan, the slower one, did not start until the upper fan was up to speed. It this typical case fan behavior. I'd not had occasion to watch the process before.

thanks,
baumgrenze

Are those fans connected to mainboard headers (with fan speed sense) or just to power pins?
Most case fans are connected to power only, so it's not possible to monitor their speed.

Martin said:
Are those fans connected to mainboard headers (with fan speed sense) or just to power pins?
Most case fans are connected to power only, so it's not possible to monitor their speed.

Thank you, Martin, for the information. I looked and the fans are connected to power only.

The filters are reaching the end of their service lifetime (4/2008.) I made replacement filter from a length of steel wire that I bent into a square. I stretched 2 layers of black nylon stocking (a section of the tube) over it and used that. It seems to be working, delivering enough air and catching dust. Time will tell.

thanks
baumgrenze

Back