Could HWiNFO be causing a 0xD1 BSOD?

tgp1994

Recently (about June 1st it seems), I've come back to my computer in the evening to find it locked up with black screens and the CPU fan running at full speed. When I reboot, I find that a bugcheck had occurred, being a 0xD1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error. Upon further digging, it seems the error happens inside ntkrnlmp.exe in the following stack:

Code:
READ_ADDRESS: unable to get nt!MmSpecialPoolStart
unable to get nt!MmSpecialPoolEnd
unable to get nt!MmPagedPoolEnd
unable to get nt!MmNonPagedPoolStart
unable to get nt!MmSizeOfNonPagedPoolInBytes

although I found it interesting that in the analysis, it identified PROCESS_NAME:  HWiNFO64.EXE. I'll have the full analysis attached.

Does this mean HWiNFO is causing the BSOD somehow? I see there are several reports of crashing in the forums right now, but I couldn't find any that specifically mentioned this BSOD error.

Attachments

• hwinfomdumps.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 4
Currently there are 2 known problems, which can cause a crash or BSOD:
- NVIDIA drivers version 397. If you have an NVIDIA GPU and using those drivers try to either upgrade to the latest version available, or downgrade to a pre-397 version.
- Windows 10 1803 update. If you're running this OS version, try to disable the "Periodic polling" option in HWiNFO.

Martin said:
Currently there are 2 known problems, which can cause a crash or BSOD:
- NVIDIA drivers version 397. If you have an NVIDIA GPU and using those drivers try to either upgrade to the latest version available, or downgrade to a pre-397 version.
- Windows 10 1803 update. If you're running this OS version, try to disable the "Periodic polling" option in HWiNFO.

Thank you for the summary Martin, I guess I tick both of those boxes!

I disabled Periodic polling this morning, and as of this evening it's still going. I'd give it a definite maybe. :)

Update: Disabling periodic polling did not seem to fix the issue, and my computer logged another 0xD1 bugcheck after rebooting. I'll try updating to the 398 display drivers and see if that helps.

Update: Disabling periodic polling did not seem to fix the issue, and my computer logged another 0xD1 bugcheck after rebooting. I'll try updating to the 398 display drivers and see if that helps.

Second (unfortunate) update: I'm still seeing lockups/0xD1 crashes after also updating to the GeForce 398.11 drivers.

Martin said:
Can you try to downgrade the GeForce drivers to pre-397 version?

Martin,

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, I'm not sure what happened to my notification e-mail. I'm about to be away from my PC for potentially a month so I may not be terribly responsive. :( I will try downgrading in the next day or two and let you know how that goes.

Just wanted to update that I've upgraded HWiNFO to 5.86, and I'm still crashing. Haven't had a chance to test downgrading to 937 geforce drivers though.

After all of this time, I wanted to report that I've done the downgrade and I think the BSOD issue has finally been resolved. I'm running driver version 391.35 and HWiNFO x64 5.92-3580. Now I'm wondering, is it safe to upgrade to newer geforce drivers?

Hi Martin,

Things seem to be very stable at this point with the 41x drivers. What an odd crash that was, I'm glad everything seems to be working together now.

Thank you for your help, and have a great year!

Back