CPU Gfx Voltage

My CPU Gfx voltage reads 1.296v idle 1.312v max. I have a 1080 so i'm not using it.

Is this safe? Couldn't really find info on this else where.

Using a maximus x formula with an 8700k a 4.4ghz 1.25v

The main take-away here is that establishing a “safety” voltage is important, but ensuring that the voltage provision actually equates the safety input is more important. If we’ve decided that “1.3” is safe for SOC, it’s not good enough to just stop incrementing voltage once BIOS reads “1.3.” There needs to be another check.

In speaking with various contacts, we’ve heard a few conflicting (but generally converging) guidelines for safe voltages:

Our understanding is that an AMD-made overclocking video for Ryzen (not Raven Ridge) suggested a 1.2V SOC voltage. This was at Ryzen’s launch, so is potentially outdated.
ASUS once recommended 1.25V SOC maximally.
Gigabyte has suggested that up to 1.3V should be OK, but spiking or maintaining spikes beyond 1.3V could be damaging to the SOC.
Buildzoid has suggested a safety of 1.2V, which also aligns with what most early Ryzen overclocking guidelines suggested; note that this is specifically for Ryzen, not necessarily for Raven Ridge.
Other contacts have suggested between 1.2V and 1.3V.

The main take-away here is that establishing a “safety” voltage is important, but ensuring that the voltage provision actually equates the safety input is more important. If we’ve decided that “1.3” is safe for SOC, it’s not good enough to just stop incrementing voltage once BIOS reads “1.3.” There needs to be another check.

In speaking with various contacts, we’ve heard a few conflicting (but generally converging) guidelines for safe voltages:

Our understanding is that an AMD-made overclocking video for Ryzen (not Raven Ridge) suggested a 1.2V SOC voltage. This was at Ryzen’s launch, so is potentially outdated.
ASUS once recommended 1.25V SOC maximally.
Gigabyte has suggested that up to 1.3V should be OK, but spiking or maintaining spikes beyond 1.3V could be damaging to the SOC.
Buildzoid has suggested a safety of 1.2V, which also aligns with what most early Ryzen overclocking guidelines suggested; note that this is specifically for Ryzen, not necessarily for Raven Ridge.
Other contacts have suggested between 1.2V and 1.3V.

I never checked back on this as I was dealing with other OC settings and I forgot. The CPU Gfx voltage still reads 1.296v Idle 1.28v min 1.312v max. These voltages don't change regardless of what my vcore is set to. I also make sure to keep it at this setting until I get a new AIO. Using vdroop to stabilize at 1.312v ->1.28v underload was slightly cooler but my PC is never under full load for that long so it ended up using 1.304v average to run 4.5ghz, way too much.

I couldn't find a way to lower the CPU Gfx voltage in the BIOS. I actually came back here to ask a related question, well maybe it's related. The reading of my +12v in HWINFO is 11.904v dipping down to 11.808v rarely. The numbers don't switch back and forth frequently, it's a steady 11.904, but it used to be at +12v almost always. In the BIOS all the voltages read normally at +3v +5v +12v. Hwinfo reads the +3v and +5v at the proper values but the +12v is off and that concerns me. I'm aware these fluctuations are within the +-%5 variance that's normal for ATX PSUs. I have an EVGA 1000 GQ. According to the product page for this PSU it will rarely deviate from the 12.4v to 12v range when kept at 50c or less. I've also been seeing the vcore drop past the manual setting with LLC6. Currently at 4.5ghz 1.264v with LLC6 it jumps up to 1.28v and obviously more with the overshoot from the LLC. Sometimes, it'll drop down to 1.248v for a second and I Can't figure out why. There's no change in clock speed and no FPS stutter or any other symptoms of any sort but it seems to coincide with the drop of the +12v dropping to 11.808v but as I write this I see it dropped to 1.248v but stayed at 11.904v. This LLC setting is the second highest. LLC5 is where it starts using vdroop instead of overvolting so this behavior doesn't make sense.

Ultimately, my question is are these accurate readings or is hwinfo misreading theses sensors? I would figure that the voltage reading on the BIOS would be more accurate but it's the same sensor so I don't know for sure and I just have a feeling this is all related. The voltage drop to 1.248v never used to happen. When I set it back to 4.4ghz 1.25v it sits at 1.248v idle and jumps to 1.264v full load with the same LLC6 it doesn't drop below THAT so I don't understand. I really hope these aren't the beginning signs of the PSU going out. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Back