-CPU (Tctl):
-CPU (Tdie):
-CPU Package:
-CPU Package (TSI):
-Core #n (n=any number):
-CPU IA Cores:
-CPU GT Cores:
-CPU (onboard EC):

and if there is any other unmentioned one please explain.

It would be great to have all the explanations on one place for they are probably most confusing.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: There is also one more onboard CPU sensor (EC):  https://ibb.co/pwshRv5

-CPU (onboard sensor): This is either a temperature measured by a dedicated sensor on mainboard located inside the CPU socket (the external CPU temperature) or temperature obtained from internal CPU thermal sensor (i.e. DTS = Digital Thermal Sensor).

-Core Max: The maximum temperature among all cores in the CPU.

-CPU (Tctl): This is the T_control temperature available on AMD CPUs only. On several generations before Zen (Ryzen), this is not a reliable representation of the temperature. On AMD Zen series this is the temperature used to control cooling and is a fixed offset from the real CPU temperature. Offset is used mostly on X-series and some Threadripper CPUs; in such case two values are shown: Tctl and Tdie. If no offset is used, then only a single value is shown as Tctl/Tdie, which equals the real temperature.

-CPU (Tdie): This value is shown in case the CPU uses an offset from Tctl and represents the real temperature (Tdie = Tctl - Tctl_offset).

-CPU Package: Shown on Intel CPUs represents a 256-millisecond average value (calculated by CPU) of the hottest temperature sensor within the CPU package.

-CPU Package (TSI): Available on pre-Zen AMD CPUs is the CPU temperature obtained via TSI interface.

-Core #n (n=any number): Actual temperature of a particular CPU core.

-CPU IA Cores: Maximum temperature among all computing (x86) cores in CPU (so part of CPU except Uncore and Graphics logic).

-CPU GT Cores: Temperature of the integrated graphics part of CPU (if present).

Martin said:
-CPU (onboard sensor): This is either a temperature measured by a dedicated sensor on mainboard located inside the CPU socket (the external CPU temperature) or temperature obtained from internal CPU thermal sensor (i.e. DTS = Digital Thermal Sensor).

-CPU (Tctl): This is the T_control temperature available on AMD CPUs only. On several generations before Zen (Ryzen), this is not a reliable representation of the temperature. On AMD Zen series this is the temperature used to control cooling and is a fixed offset from the real CPU temperature. Offset is used mostly on X-series and some Threadripper CPUs; in such case two values are shown: Tctl and Tdie. If no offset is used, then only a single value is shown as Tctl/Tdie, which equals the real temperature.

-CPU (Tdie): This value is shown in case the CPU uses an offset from Tctl and represents the real temperature (Tdie = Tctl - Tctl_offset).

-CPU Package: Shown on Intel CPUs represents a 256-millisecond average value (calculated by CPU) of the hottest temperature sensor within the CPU package.

-CPU Package (TSI): Available on pre-Zen AMD CPUs is the CPU temperature obtained via TSI interface.

-CPU IA Cores: Maximum temperature among all computing (x86) cores in CPU (so part of CPU except Uncore and Graphics logic).

Thanks mate! I found and added one more to the list, but not sure what it has to do with CPU because all the values are the same over time even after a stress test (Min, Max, Current, Average)... Looks like an ambient sensor put near, but not so close CPU.

Martin said:
CPU under the EC sensor should also represent the CPU temperature, but I don't have any details about its exact source/method, as this is a proprietary value.

You might also refer to this thread for further details about DTS: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/cpu-core-temperature-measuring-facts-fictions.148/

I have just read it. Very usefull info. I didn't know that a lot of the CPU's sensors give us such inaccurate measures. But not sure how exact CPU temps we can get with that issued CPUs using onboard temp sensors...

Accuracy of mainboard thermal diodes is not known to me. One would need to determine the exact type and check its properties/specifications.

Martin said:
Accuracy of mainboard thermal diodes is not known to me. One would need to determine the exact type and check its properties/specifications.

I meant to say the onboard CPU (socket) temp sensor. No sure what is it measuring as it is not in the CPU Package itself?

The diode is only in close proximity to the CPU, so it's the external CPU temperature.

Hi,

My question is my laptop doesn't use an offset and the Tctl and Tdie are together in the same line but my procesor is a Zen procesor Ryzen 4800h, and I get quiet high temps on Tctl and I'm wondering which are the real temps for me ?
Because I'm thinking to send the laptop back and get another instead but same model because i love it.

Hope you can help me !

Find attached

Attachments

• temps.PNG
    temps.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 69
Hi,

My question is my laptop doesn't use an offset and the Tctl and Tdie are together in the same line but my procesor is a Zen procesor Ryzen 4800h, and I get quiet high temps on Tctl and I'm wondering which are the real temps for me ?
Because I'm thinking to send the laptop back and get another instead but same model because i love it.

Hope you can help me !

Find attached

All those values are correct, an offset was present only on some Zen1 models. That laptop either lacks sufficient cooling or the thermal paste wasn't applied correctly.
But it's quite common for many laptops to reach such high temperatures as they are unable to dissipate enough heat due to constrained designs.

Hi,

Hope you can help me !

Find attached
Check the CPU power draw when temp is that high. As @Martin said it’s common for a high end laptop CPU to reach levels that high. And 4800H is a high end CPU.
If the limit is the same as desktop latest CPUs (3000/5000) then the max operating temp is 95C.

Hi Martin, I was looking at which has higher temp, laptops with AMD or Intel. The output for Intel CPU shows core temp, each core temp, core distance to Tjmax, CPU package temp, core max, CPU IA cores temp. The output for AMD shows CPU(Tctl/Tdie), CPU core, CPU SOC, CPU skin. They have different names, which temp I should use to compare with each other?

Hi Martin, I was looking at which has higher temp, laptops with AMD or Intel. The output for Intel CPU shows core temp, each core temp, core distance to Tjmax, CPU package temp, core max, CPU IA cores temp. The output for AMD shows CPU(Tctl/Tdie), CPU core, CPU SOC, CPU skin. They have different names, which temp I should use to compare with each other?

AMD uses several types of temperature reports because the CPU has dozens of temperature sensors, so it's not easy to provide a single universal and comparable value. HWiNFO since version 7.05 Beta shows per-core temperatures for AMD Zen CPUs too. AMD RyzenMaster favors the "CPU Die (average)" value.
Check the sensor tooltips for further explanation of their meanings.

Back