Haswell-E Wattage

james41382

Hello, I have a 5930K on a Asus X99-A/USB 3.1. The CPU is overclocked, adaptive voltage, to 4.5 GHz so under load it should be hitting at least 140W.

I am not sure how to tell how much power the CPU is using from HWiNFO. In the Asus application it showed it accurately, but it's currently not installed. In HWiNFO the only value that is in W is CPU Package Power, which is generally around 1W, which I know is not the power usage. I've come across some threads here and there, but I wanted to go straight to the source to try and figure out what's up. Thanks!

Attachments

• CPU Package Power.JPG
    CPU Package Power.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 2
I assume you have disabled SVID support in the BIOS an when this is disabled, the CPU is unable to measure actual power values.
If you enable that option, you should see accurate power values ;)

Martin said:
I assume you have disabled SVID support in the BIOS an when this is disabled, the CPU is unable to measure actual power values.
If you enable that option, you should see accurate power values ;)

I specifically recall about SVID being disabled. I can only image I would have disabled it if it was "recommended when overclocking". I'll look when I get home on Tuesday.

I did a little reading and you are correct about SVID. It was being disabled because I'm overclocking and the CPU SVID is set to auto. I set it to enabled and played with the system a little. Got the system stable through a few quick stress tests at CPU SVID = 1.91V and LLC at 7. Now I can see how much power the CPU is using, which is awesome. The majority of overclocking tutorials for Haswell-E say to disable CPU and RAM SVID, but I'm going to run it like this for a while and see how it goes. Thanks for the help Martin!

Back