HDD temperature and smart data missing from 2 drives of a 4 drive Raid 10 array windows 10 2004.

sgtsixpack

I zipped up 3 .dbg files, check date one is from April when everything was fine and I was in AHCI mode. Now I'm in RAID mode and 2 of my drives' stats are missing. I have 2 external hard drives ATM, 1 a 14TB WD elements (4 identical shucked drives inside O11 daymaic XL) & the other a 1TB WD10EACS via USB 2.0 to sata II adapter. I've set startup to 2mins (no write cache enabled) since I'm booting from the array (till I can clone to a USB/ figure out how to selectively clone partitions while keeping data partition of SSD intact).

Attachments

Last edited:

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I think this is some issue of the RAID controller driver which doesn't support standard queries to report information about drives in the RAID array.
Is there some other tool (i.e. CrystalDiskInfo) able to report details about those drives?

sgtsixpack

Hi Martin, thx for the response. I can tell you that crystaldiskinfo works 100% but defraggler (one of my 2 favorite defragmenters) crashes when asked to scan any partition of the 26TB array. In fact I checked a bunch of installed programs and found that crystaldiskinfo is the only one that can see my drives in the array (apart from driveXpert2 ofcourse https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570). ClearDiskInfo, Gsmart and Samsung Magician (old version could not recognise its own drives as made by Samsung); all fail to see through the array.

Pretty terrible results from HDtune but I've tested the drives individually for nearly a week with datalifeguard diagnostics and lowlevel (which itself now does not see the individual drives), they are fine. If I test from a cloned OS on the sata 3.0 port via a sata 2.0/ide to USB adapter the results exclude the background noise of OS disk activity. I have seen a max of 265MB/s in HDtune (higher than the 220-230 max of a single (faster drive like BXC)). I have seem some cache like reports from defraggler when hitting benchmark more than 2-3 times of 1250MB/s, not sure why as apparently onboard cache is disabled while in an array (I heard WD reds have limited onboard cache due to this fact; while these US7SAP140/WD140EMFZ have 500MB on board); and ofcourse no write caching enabled in the bios.

I have a UPS on the way from ebay (to protect against data loss on power cut) which seems like a bargin having checked the new price (just needed to order some c13/c14 cable variations), I need to check if a usb cable (for auto-shutdown on power loss) is required but I think I might find one at my Dad's house.

Edit:. Just noticed in in safe mode for sata drive scan.

Attachments

Last edited:

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Am I assuming correct that the drives missing in HWiNFO are the last two "WDC WD140EMFZ-11A0WA0" seen in RAIDXpert2?

Last edited:

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
This seems to me like a faulty implementation in the RAIDXpert2 driver - it doesn't provide correct information according to the specification.
CrystalDiskInfo seems to use some workaround for this, but according to the information I saw it's not quite reliable and might cause BSODs.
Hence I'm quite reluctant to try it that way...

sgtsixpack

Is this raidexpert2 driver installed over the top of the drivers needed to be injected into the Win10 2004 install media? I can check this as long as my clone does not have raidexpert2 already installed. If so I can try reinstalling the base driver back. It's also possible there is no difference, but I recall talk of an AHCI driver included with raidXpert2.

If it's the same driver I will make a support ticket with AMD.

The idea of installing RaidXpert2 was not the driver but the taskbar monitoring of the array.

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Sorry, I don't know if that will help.
What I can say (without going too technical) is that the RAIDXpert2 driver supports a standard called CSMI SAS, which is used to communicate with the drives including RAID arrays.
But the implementation by RAIDXpert2 is faulty as the drives reported in your case are only 4 and it seems one needs to force certain queries to detect the others, but this might cause issues. Besides that, some other parameters reported are also not correct and lacking requirements defined in the standard.
Solutions from other vendors (i.e. Intel RST) follow the specification much better and don't have such issues. So IMO this is a case for ticket at AMD.

sgtsixpack

Do you think I've been hit with this bug?:

I have done a few more tests and I notice that even my SSDs seem to be cacheless. Tests can be bottomed out by flicking to a different program (with regards to HDtune test output).

I might need to reinstall over because I failed to backup a snapshot before I installed raidXpert2 with its drivers (they were an option). I will try again but unless I'm mistaken you can't install the OS onto one of the drives not specifically setup via the bios interface; namely the SSDs not intended to be used in RAID. I haven't tried not sure you can change drivers back now. There are 3 drivers that need to be manually updated and I'm not sure what happens mid process. I'm not concerned with data loss (have 2 backups).

Just sent AMD my report about this (and I've finally got my SSD as boot):
"
I installed windows 10 2004 direct onto my (at present) cacheless array; windows wouldn't install to an SSD in raid mode. When I shutdown from the array (with 2 x ssd plugged in) the reset never happens - it sits at black screen. The performance is terrible because of no-cache and disabled onboard cache. I was finally able to put my live install onto my SSD (with a Sabrent 2.5" USB3.0 adapter), I gave up with clonezilla. When I changed the boot order, the 850 evo failed to boot into windows. I removed an external hard drive and the order happened to default to the 850 first (probably because I knew which ports are enumerated first) then my 2nd SSD was not recognised. It is now but the experience is not one of a polished product. Why does RAID disable the cache on my SSDs when they are not in a raid array?

I have a screenshot of the original problem.

Defraggler crashes when trying to analyse the raid array, lots of software doesn't work apparently due to the driver not complying with standards (see my forum link)."

I also left feedback for microsoft on the issue, and linked amd & microsoft to this thread!

Attachments

Last edited: