HWinfo BSOD

Bill P

Hi,

First thanks for your very good program.

HWinfo64 running on Win 7 computer + ASUS Z170A MB works fine EXCEPT when I use a backup program to clone one hard drive to a backup drive,  I get a BSOD with the following error summary:

crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump
This was probably caused by the following module: [font=Segoe UI, Arial]iastora.sys[/font] (iaStorA+0xEA99C)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x10, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8800111199C)
Error: [font=Segoe UI, Arial]DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL[/font]
file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\iastora.sys

Steps/observations I have taken to troubleshoot:
1.  When I run my backup program without Hwinfo64 running, it runs without any problems, no BSOD.
2.  Updated Intel RST driver/iastora.sys, BSOD problem persisted

3.  Tried Hwinfo64 in Low level I/O access BSOD occurs
4.  Tried Hwinfo64 with drive scans disabled, no BSOD

Would appreciate your help to fix this.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,
So the BSOD happens when you have HWiNFO already running (assuming with sensors monitoring the system) and you start the backup tool ? Or does it happen during HWiNFO startup ?
It seems this is a collision between HWiNFO, the backup tool and Intel RST.
A HWiNFO Debug File of the crash might be helpful...

Hi Martin,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, the BSOD occurs when I have HWInfo already running/sensors monitoring along with Hwinfo gadget.
As luck would have it I was just running a debug to post to you and the problem didn't occur (this is the first time I didn't get the BSOD over the last 10 or so daily backups)
The backup program takes about an hour and the BSOD occurs toward the end of the backup, with the same BSOD mnidump error message each time.
I will attempt to get a debug file if and when it occurs next.
If there is any advice you can offer in the interim, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Since this appears to be a collision between two programs, I can only advise not to use both at the same time.
Another alternative would be that if you run the backup tool, you'll temporary disable (right-click and Disable Monitoring) the SMART sensor in HWiNFO sensors screen until the backup finishes. That might help to avoid the problem.

Thanks Martin for the good product and the good service.
I'll keep my fingers crossed I don't have to send you a debug file.

Hi Martin,
Unfortunately, the BSOD problem described above persists. I am attaching the debug file.
Thanks in advance for your assitance.
Bill

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG.7z
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
Is the attached DBG file capturing the BSOD? It doesn't seem so, I can see a normal/successful run there.
Have you tried to disable the SMART sensors in HWiNFO when trying to perform the backup ?

Martin said:
Is the attached DBG file capturing the BSOD? It doesn't seem so, I can see a normal/successful run there.
Have you tried to disable the SMART sensors in HWiNFO when trying to perform the backup ?

The BSOD occurred and the computer rebooted on its own.  The Debug file was the one created during this process.
I didn't get an opportunity to test the backup with the smart sensors disabled yet.

But the DBG file doesn't show any signs of a system crash - it shows just a clear termination of HWiNFO without any issues.
If you have HWiNFO configured to autostart with Windows this might be the reason - the DBG was overwritten after the new boot.
Nevertheless, I think the only solution is to disable those sensors. Or ask the backup software vendor to fix the problem on their side. It's not clear which tool is the guilty one as both work without issues standalone.

Martin said:
But the DBG file doesn't show any signs of a system crash - it shows just a clear termination of HWiNFO without any issues.
If you have HWiNFO configured to autostart with Windows this might be the reason - the DBG was overwritten after the new boot.
Nevertheless, I think the only solution is to disable those sensors. Or ask the backup software vendor to fix the problem on their side. It's not clear which tool is the guilty one as both work without issues standalone.

The BSOD issue is now occurring without the backup program running. 

I disabled autostart so hopefully it captured the event.

I am attaching the latest DBG file which is substantially larger this time.

Thanks

Sorry, but the file you attached is exactly the same (uncompressed) as the previous DBG file.

Martin said:
Sorry, but the file you attached is exactly the same (uncompressed) as the previous DBG file.

Sorry my error.  I am trying to attaching the correct file but am getting a message saying

• The file you attached is too large. The maximum size for that type of file is 5120 kilobytes.

Martin said:

Sorry my error.  I am trying to attaching the correct file but am getting a message saying

• The file you attached is too large. The maximum size for that type of file is 5120 kilobytes.

How large is the file when compressed ? Can you try to upload it somewhere else ?

I can see a lot of failures there when HWiNFO queries the disks for SMART status and especially at the end of the dump (near the BSOD).
This is most probably an indication of a failure in the Intel RST driver and I can't do anything about that. You might try some previous RST version, or hope that Intel will fix this sometime later.
Otherwise I can only suggest to disable polling of the SMART sensors in HWiNFO to avoid such problems.

Martin said:
I can see a lot of failures there when HWiNFO queries the disks for SMART status and especially at the end of the dump (near the BSOD).
This is most probably an indication of a failure in the Intel RST driver and I can't do anything about that. You might try some previous RST version, or hope that Intel will fix this sometime later.
Otherwise I can only suggest to disable polling of the SMART sensors in HWiNFO to avoid such problems.

Hi Martin,

After trying to troubleshoot this some more, I did disable polling of the SMART sensors as you suggested and no BSOD occur.  Unfortunately with this config I am not able to monitor my HDD temps.

I did notice that when trying Open Hardware Monitor I am able to monitor temps without any BSOD, however I prefer the flexibility of your program, therefore I am wondering whether this info might help you find a solution or a workaround so I can use your program, monitor my HDD's and no BSOD.

And one additional question please, is there anyway to increase the general font side in your gadget any larger than the two choices we are given in the dropdown menu?

Thanks!
Bill

Back