HWinfo.exe icon missing

I'm having a small issue where my hwinfo64.exe icon is not showing up in certain places.
Operating system is Windows 10 21H2 with all recent updates.

The main HWiNFO64.exe file in C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64 just started showing a blank white icon a few days ago, which is causing the HWinfo icon on the taskbar to show up blank when I have the program open. The small HWinfo tray icon works fine, and the shortcut in the Start menu is also showing up normally. If I move the main HWiNFO64.exe file onto the desktop, its icon shows up and functions properly. When I move it back into its normal folder in Program Files, the icon is once again blank.

I've been searching around for a while, but I haven't been able to identify what the problem is here. I tried rebuilding the icon cache for Windows, but that didn't help. I have not tried reinstalling HWinfo yet since I'm not sure if that would resolve this issue, and I was hoping to avoid a reinstall.

I've attached some screenshots to show the problem.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• hwinfoicon.jpg
    hwinfoicon.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 8
This is a quite weird problem but I don't think there's much we can do. Appearance of icons is fully managed by Windows. So I suspect there was some Windows update that might be causing this.

I can't say for sure, but it did seem like this happened after a recent Windows update that was installed within the last week.
The blank icon hasn't affect the functionality of the program though, so it's really not a big deal.
I appreciate your reply Martin, and I hope you enjoy the coming weekend.

Just reporting for the record... the icons are now showing up again.
I didn't do anything to fix it, so it seems the issue has resolved itself within Windows one way or another.

Back