HWiNFO64 crashes and PC freezes while in detecting ATA/SCSI Drive/s step

alex_i

Hello, just came across this issue when starting up HWiNFO64 yesterday - It was working fine just a few days ago. The issue is that the application stops responding while detecting ATA/SCSI Drive/s. Killing it via task manager doesn't work, and forcing a kill through the command line returns an error that the process doesn't exist. Weirdly enough, my pc freezes entirely if I try to access a file through windows explorer necessitating a hard reboot to get the pc working again. I'm afraid I don't have a report file as the application crashes before creating one but I'm attaching the debug file.

Kind regards,
Alex

P.S. After looking in the forum this issue does look similar to https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/hwinfo64-crashes-while-detecting-ata-scsi-drive-s-fixed.5910/ , but I don't know if they are related.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    648 KB · Views: 2
So your ASMedia controller does not have any drives attached?
This doesn't seem to be an issue of ATA Statistics, but some problem with driver support of SMART. Try to first update the SATA driver to latest version. If that won't help, you might need to disable the "S.M.A.R.T. Support" option in HWiNFO.

I dont think it does - I will double check. No ASMedia controllers appear in Device Manager though (snippet attached).

Disabling "S.M.A.R.T. Support" allows hwinfo to go past the drive step, however it crashes after it finishes (no longer freezes my pc thankfully). I'll check for updates on my SATA drivers and report back.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    908.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    85.8 KB · Views: 5
This seems to be a bug in HWiNFO. It shall be fixed in the next (Beta) build.

Back