HWiNFO64 Freezing (Fixed!)

Ryuki22

Hey there love the program however I am running into an issue where, while running custom fan profiles, temperatures/program will lockup and fans get stuck at whatever rpm they were at when the program froze.. also the only way to correct issue is to hold power button, normal shutdown/restart gets stuck as blue screen..

Issue tends to happen around running it for over an hour while gaming..

Typically using sensors only, solely monitoring temperatures and running custom fan curve.

Attachments

• DESKTOP-VIQ4QAL.HTM
    184.1 KB · Views: 6
  • HWiNFO64.DBG
    988.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I know this might sound odd, but try to detach the battery from the notebook if that will resolve the issue.

It seems to be working thus far! Gunna run it most of the day I'll let you know how it goes! Could you offer any insight into why this resolves the issue?

Update: Been gaming for about 5 hours, running flawlessly. Thanks a million!

Last edited:
The problem is that the interface used to monitor/control fans is also used to monitor the battery (and a few other things like brightness control). But there's no reliable mechanism to avoid potential collisions when multiple applications use it. So when for example the system accesses the battery and HWiNFO the fans, a collision can happen resulting in the problems you've seen.

The problem is that the interface used to monitor/control fans is also used to monitor the battery (and a few other things like brightness control). But there's no reliable mechanism to avoid potential collisions when multiple applications use it. So when for example the system accesses the battery and HWiNFO the fans, a collision can happen resulting in the problems you've seen.
Hello Martin can you add a retry or bus reset option? Running without a battery kind of sucks.

It seems to set the fan RPM fine but then fails on going back down in RPMs. Please, please add a method to recover or a workaround.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any action (retry, bus reset or whatsoever) that could fix such issue.

The problem happening here is different and as I already stated there's no such method possible to avoid it unfortunately.

The problem happening here is different and as I already stated there's no such method possible to avoid it unfortunately.
So this is a kernel driver issue? I can send the issue to MSFT contacts if you can explain it a bit more. I am guessing that if I put my CPU into single threaded mode the collision would not occur?

Last edited:
Hey Martin is this a multi-threading issue regarding the SCM driver? I could try and get an OS adjustment if you let me know which driver.

Last edited:
This is a collision between the Windows ACPI kernel and applications trying to communicate with EC. I really doubt Microsoft will do anything about this and is willing to synchronize their EC functions with 3rd party applications.

This is a collision between the Windows ACPI kernel and applications trying to communicate with EC. I really doubt Microsoft will do anything about this and is willing to synchronize their EC functions with 3rd party applications.
If you can PM me or post an exact request to resolve I will take that directly to the developers in Redmond. I am there every week.

Back