HWinfo64 hangs without "low-level PCI access" option on Windows 10

genkvg

Member
Could You please help me to solve the following driver issue (as far as I understand):
under my old system (Windows 7 with all updates) HWinfo64 5.02-2575 works perfect without any errors BUT
after migration to Windows 10 HWinfo64 5.02-2575 hangs every time when I started it... without response!
The only solution to this error is to turn on the "low-level PCI access" option.

Thank You in advance!
 

Attachments

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I'll need a DBG file from the hang to have a look at what's happening there.
 

genkvg

Member
Martin said:
I'll need a DBG file from the hang to have a look at what's happening there.
In this case, Is it possible to upload very large DBG file to the forum, about 15 Mb unzipped and ~3Mb zipped?
As far as I remember, only 1Mb available for upload.
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I have raised the limit for such attachments to 5MB. You can also try better compressors like 7z or RAR.
 

genkvg

Member
Martin said:
I have raised the limit for such attachments to 5MB. You can also try better compressors like 7z or RAR.
Thank You very much for Your assistance!
Here, I uploaded DBG-file obtained by HWinfo64 using default options.
 

Attachments

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
This looks like an issue in the Windows 10 kernel (HAL) - it reports a bunch on random (internal memory) data when queried for PCI devices.
Besides the fact that this is an error in the kernel, this could be a security issue as well (because it seems to read internal memory).
I'm afraid there's nothing I can do about this, you'll have to use the "Low-level PCI Access" option until Microsoft fixes this issue.
 

genkvg

Member
Martin said:
This looks like an issue in the Windows 10 kernel (HAL) - it reports a bunch on random (internal memory) data when queried for PCI devices.
Besides the fact that this is an error in the kernel, this could be a security issue as well (because it seems to read internal memory).
I'm afraid there's nothing I can do about this, you'll have to use the "Low-level PCI Access" option until Microsoft fixes this issue.
Thank You very much, Martin!
Pretty bad news everyone! :( MS tested Win 10 for more than 2 years and the result of such intensive testings is kernel error! There d be a reason to think about MS products... once again....
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I think they concentrated most resources to make sure their Telemetry works well ;)
 

genkvg

Member
Dear Martin, recently I found one more interesting thing, maybe this is a key to strange behavior of HWinfo64 on Win 10...
HWinfo64 incorrectly identified Win 10 (10.0.10240) as Win 8, Build 9200 (see screenshots)!
 

Attachments

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Are you maybe running HWiNFO in Compatibility Mode for Windows 8 (HWiNFO64.EXE -> Properties -> Compatibility) ?
 

genkvg

Member
Martin said:
Are you maybe running HWiNFO in Compatibility Mode for Windows 8 (HWiNFO64.EXE -> Properties -> Compatibility) ?
Ooops. Yes! 
But I did NOT do it manually!!!!
Win 10 selected starting mode automatically after several unfortunate starts (I just repeated such situation).
One more interesting feature: After this auto-selection it is only possible to generate DBG file.
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I'm thinking about setting the "Low-level PCI Access" option to enabled by default for all.
 
Top