HWinfo64 hangs without "low-level PCI access" option on Windows 10

genkvg

Could You please help me to solve the following driver issue (as far as I understand):
under my old system (Windows 7 with all updates) HWinfo64 5.02-2575 works perfect without any errors BUT
after migration to Windows 10 HWinfo64 5.02-2575 hangs every time when I started it... without response!
The only solution to this error is to turn on the "low-level PCI access" option.

Thank You in advance!

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.zip
    66.1 KB · Views: 1
I'll need a DBG file from the hang to have a look at what's happening there.

Martin said:
I'll need a DBG file from the hang to have a look at what's happening there.

In this case, Is it possible to upload very large DBG file to the forum, about 15 Mb unzipped and ~3Mb zipped?
As far as I remember, only 1Mb available for upload.

I have raised the limit for such attachments to 5MB. You can also try better compressors like 7z or RAR.

Martin said:
I have raised the limit for such attachments to 5MB. You can also try better compressors like 7z or RAR.

Thank You very much for Your assistance!
Here, I uploaded DBG-file obtained by HWinfo64 using default options.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64_.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
This looks like an issue in the Windows 10 kernel (HAL) - it reports a bunch on random (internal memory) data when queried for PCI devices.
Besides the fact that this is an error in the kernel, this could be a security issue as well (because it seems to read internal memory).
I'm afraid there's nothing I can do about this, you'll have to use the "Low-level PCI Access" option until Microsoft fixes this issue.

Martin said:
This looks like an issue in the Windows 10 kernel (HAL) - it reports a bunch on random (internal memory) data when queried for PCI devices.
Besides the fact that this is an error in the kernel, this could be a security issue as well (because it seems to read internal memory).
I'm afraid there's nothing I can do about this, you'll have to use the "Low-level PCI Access" option until Microsoft fixes this issue.

Thank You very much, Martin!
Pretty bad news everyone! :( MS tested Win 10 for more than 2 years and the result of such intensive testings is kernel error! There d be a reason to think about MS products... once again....

I think they concentrated most resources to make sure their Telemetry works well ;)

Dear Martin, recently I found one more interesting thing, maybe this is a key to strange behavior of HWinfo64 on Win 10...
HWinfo64 incorrectly identified Win 10 (10.0.10240) as Win 8, Build 9200 (see screenshots)!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.png
    2.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 3
Are you maybe running HWiNFO in Compatibility Mode for Windows 8 (HWiNFO64.EXE -> Properties -> Compatibility) ?

Martin said:
Are you maybe running HWiNFO in Compatibility Mode for Windows 8 (HWiNFO64.EXE -> Properties -> Compatibility) ?

Ooops. Yes! 
But I did NOT do it manually!!!!
Win 10 selected starting mode automatically after several unfortunate starts (I just repeated such situation).
One more interesting feature: After this auto-selection it is only possible to generate DBG file.

I'm thinking about setting the "Low-level PCI Access" option to enabled by default for all.

Back