HWiNFO64 ver.6.23-4080 reporting SATA 2 port that should be SATA 3

helzayat

I have two Seagate 6TB drives connected to two of the six SATA ports on this Z170 Gigabyte motherboard ("SATA3 0/1/2/3/4/5 (SATA 6Gb/s Connectors)" according to the motherboard manual).
Annotation 2020-02-19 004212.png
HWiNFO64 is reporting one of them as "Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s" and the other as "Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s"
Could one of my SATA ports really be running at 3Gb/s? Or might this be a bug?

This is unlikely a bug, but to be sure check detailed properties of your SATA controller in the main window - Bus node.

I don't see SATA controler under Bus, Under Bus, SATA Host Controler it says
Interface Speed Supported: Gen3 6.0 Gbps

Under Drives/(S)ATAT/ATAPI Drives the same information as in the System Summary.
The weird thing is that 12 hours after I noticed it was reporting "Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s" now it is "Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 1.5Gb/s".
I am waiting for Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management (RST) to finish migrating a RAID 1 volume then will reboot and see what it reads then.
Could a malfunctioning drive cause the SATA port to drop its speed?

If you open the drive under (S)ATA/ATAPI Drives, click the link in "Host Controller:". That will lead you to the controller in bus list. Please post a screenshot of its properties including particular ports.

That indicates the speed is really degraded, but I'm not sure if this is normal and due to some power management.
Try to run some disk intensive task on that drive and then check back in HWiNFO. Note, that you will need to start HWiNFO again as this parameter is not constantly being read, only during startup.

Back