Incorrect fan speed readings on ASUS M4N98TD EVO

Sometimes on the Asus M4N98TD EVO appears strange readings on the fan speeds. The software shows about 1300RPM speed, which is the correct one, and, sometimes, it will show for moments impossible RPM readings (337500). I've included some attachments with print screens and log files.

Also, on the same motherboard, the software doesn't show SATA disc temperatures when RAID is enabled.
 

Attachments

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Thanks for the report, I'll try to fix the erratic fan speed values.
I'm wondering that it doesn't report any voltage values, can you please attach the HWiNFO32 Debug File so I can analyse it more deeply?
What RAID controller is used ? Do you see the drives in RAID reported in the main window ?
 
Martin said:
Thanks for the report, I'll try to fix the erratic fan speed values.
I'm wondering that it doesn't report any voltage values, can you please attach the HWiNFO32 Debug File so I can analyse it more deeply?
What RAID controller is used ? Do you see the drives in RAID reported in the main window ?
It doesn't show the voltage values because I disabled their monitoring. I've attached a file with all sensors enabled and the debug file. The RAID controller is the one that comes onboard. It's an nvidia RAID controller. On the main window the hard disks are not detect correctly.
 

Attachments

dementedway said:
Martin said:
Thanks for the report, I'll try to fix the erratic fan speed values.
I'm wondering that it doesn't report any voltage values, can you please attach the HWiNFO32 Debug File so I can analyse it more deeply?
What RAID controller is used ? Do you see the drives in RAID reported in the main window ?
It doesn't show the voltage values because I disabled their monitoring. I've attached a file with all sensors enabled and the debug file. The RAID controller is the one that comes onboard. It's an nvidia RAID controller. On the main window the hard disks are not detect correctly.
 

Attachments

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I'm sorry, but HWiNFO32/64 currently doesn't support nVidia RAID controller disk detection/temperature monitoring. The nVidia drivers do not support any standard RAID interfaces.
As for the mainboard monitoring, it seems that there are ocasionally invalid values read from the sensor. Do you have any other monitoring application running concurrently? Some of them can cause such issues.
 
Martin said:
I'm sorry, but HWiNFO32/64 currently doesn't support nVidia RAID controller disk detection/temperature monitoring. The nVidia drivers do not support any standard RAID interfaces.
As for the mainboard monitoring, it seems that there are ocasionally invalid values read from the sensor. Do you have any other monitoring application running concurrently? Some of them can cause such issues.
I don't have other monitoring programs running or installed. The only issue I'm having is the occasional incorrect RPM reading. Will you support nvidia raid on future versions?
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I'll fix the invalid RPM reading and try to find a way how to support nVidia RAID drives.

dementedway said:
Martin said:
I'm sorry, but HWiNFO32/64 currently doesn't support nVidia RAID controller disk detection/temperature monitoring. The nVidia drivers do not support any standard RAID interfaces.
As for the mainboard monitoring, it seems that there are ocasionally invalid values read from the sensor. Do you have any other monitoring application running concurrently? Some of them can cause such issues.
I don't have other monitoring programs running or installed. The only issue I'm having is the occasional incorrect RPM reading. Will you support nvidia raid on future versions?
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I have checked the RAID outputs you sent and consulted that.
It seems the methods HWiNFO32/64 is currently using should work here, however the nVidia RAID driver returns invalid (empty) information when I try to access it.
Can you please try to upgrade to the latest nVidia RAID driver to check if that helps?
 
Martin said:
I have checked the RAID outputs you sent and consulted that.
It seems the methods HWiNFO32/64 is currently using should work here, however the nVidia RAID driver returns invalid (empty) information when I try to access it.
Can you please try to upgrade to the latest nVidia RAID driver to check if that helps?
I checked nvidia's site and last month were launched new drivers for my motherboard. As soon as I have time I'll update them and give you some feedback on how HWiNFO behaves. I tested with HWiNFO64 and it doesn't show hard disc temperature also. HWiNFO64 shows less less sensors than HWiNFO32. Is this normal?
 

Attachments

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
It seems there is an issue with NVAPI-related information in HWiNFO64.
I'll try to fix this in the next release.
 
I've tested the new version and the high incorrect fan speed reading was resolved but now it shows 0RPM instead. It is better now because these 0RPM values aren't considered for the minimum values. Wouldn't it be better if it kept the previous value instead of showing 0RPM?
 

Attachments

I finally installed the most recent drivers for my motherboard and graphics card and HWINFO 32 and 64 doesn't show which hard drives I've got and their temperature. I attached the debug files for both HWINFO. I've got the most recent HWINFO, nforce 15.56 x64 and graphics drivers 275.33 x64.
 

Attachments

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Unfortunately I have no explanation for this now. It seems the driver responds to HWiNFO32/64 queries, but returns empty data (=0)..
 

ckotick

Member
And are there really any RAID drivers that report S.M.A.R.T. attributes of disk drives?
My AMD controller does not report that too. So I always thought, that S.M.A.R.T. is available only in IDE/AHCI modes.
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Yes, there are several RAID systems that report S.M.A.R.T. data. However there are also systems on which queries for such information take too long and cause a high CPU load (I've seen certain Intel RAID drivers which cause such issues).
BTW, does AIDA64 report disk temperature?
 
ckotick said:
And are there really any RAID drivers that report S.M.A.R.T. attributes of disk drives?
My AMD controller does not report that too. So I always thought, that S.M.A.R.T. is available only in IDE/AHCI modes.
I tested one software that was showing SMART of drives behind RAID but I don't remember which one was. There must be some issue with my windows because it used to show, on device manager, which drives I had behind RAID but now it doesn't show.
 
Martin said:
Yes, there are several RAID systems that report S.M.A.R.T. data. However there are also systems on which queries for such information take too long and cause a high CPU load (I've seen certain Intel RAID drivers which cause such issues).
BTW, does AIDA64 report disk temperature?
I tested with it now and it doesn't show hard disk temperature
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Then let's hope nVidia will add support of standard calls to their drivers for SMART information someday..
 
Top