Large number of reported USB ports

ritjesman

Hello -

Did a search and didn't find anything similar, so:

I’ve just upgraded to a total new custom build but am primarily using an OS based on an OEM OS build. The new HW build has 14 USB ports:
2 USB 2.0 ports on back I/O panel
4 USB 3.1 ports on back I/O panel
4 USB 2.0 ports – front panel off of motherboard headers
4 USB 3.1 ports – front panel off of motherboard headers
All motherboard headers are fully utilized to support the front panel ports.  There are neither internal nor external hubs connected.  When I click (HWiNFO64 v5.88 – 3510) Ports-->USB-->Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller-->Root Hub on the Summary screen there is a listing of 26 ports.

I thought maybe it was left-over drivers from the OEM OS build, but I've just completed a fresh Win7 Pro install and it also reports the 26 ports.

Why would this be?  In Device Manager I do have a USB virtualization connector and a WD SES Device (neither of which I can figure out what they're actually doing).  Are they related to the number of reported USB ports?

Thank you, Art H.
PS - Invaluable utility - BIG thanx.

I think this is because the system contains hubs that don't have some ports physically connected, but the USB system reports all ports and it's not possible to determine which are physically present.

Hi Martin, Thank you for everything. I cannot count the number of times you have answered my questions. So today, I created an account just to say Thank you.

Back