memory speed seems 1/2

Kris823

hwinfo64 v4.36-2150
been using hwinfo for quite a bit, many different versions, and always noticed the memory speed shows 1/2 of what I would expect for my 1600 ballistix:
Memory Speed: 800.0 MHz (PC3-12800)
Module Manufacturer: Crucial Technology
Module Part Number: BLS4G3D1609DS1S00.

Please show me where I'm wrong.
Getting ready to play with OCing this one.
Thanks

DDR memory is marketed using effective memory clock, which denotes that during each cycle twice the amount of data is transferred.
HWiNFO reports always the true physical clock in MHz.
So an 800 MHz module is marked as DDR3-1600.

Martin said:
DDR memory is marketed using effective memory clock, which denotes that during each cycle twice the amount of data is transferred.
HWiNFO reports always the true physical clock in MHz.
So an 800 MHz module is marked as DDR3-1600.
So if I understand correctly you're saying it is being accessed at 800, but transferring as if operating at 1600?

Martin said:
BIOSes often use the same naming convention.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

I think the difference is in the clocking - 9 at 1600 would be 4.5 at 800. So, yes, the memory is being clocked at 1600 but only accessed every 9,9,9,9,24 or so. So yes, marketing ploy back in 2007 - runs no better than a fast 800 clocked at 4 or 5. But "showing 800 and clocking of 9,etc" might be a bit misleading because bios is spd'ing it at 1600 9,etc. Yes? or am I missing something... (by the way HUGE thanks for quick reply!!!)(1st try: 3.4ghz runs at 4.3ghz but at 64C so can toast marshmallows)(toys!!!)
(http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr3-1600.html)

Double Data Rate (DDR) = 2 transfers per clock cycle. Rising edge for one, falling edge for the other.

Overclocking RAM shows little performance enhancement but is a result of overclocking the CPU. Some BIOS have ability to increase CPU bus speed & reducing the effective bus speed of the RAM.

I used to overclock a Pentium-D 3.0GHz to 3.6GHz on a Gigabyte motherboard. It required something better than the standard heatsink/fan.

Cmp_Cmndo said:
Double Data Rate (DDR) = 2 transfers per clock cycle. Rising edge for one, falling edge for the other.

Overclocking RAM shows little performance enhancement but is a result of overclocking the CPU. Some BIOS have ability to increase CPU bus speed & reducing the effective bus speed of the RAM.

I used to overclock a Pentium-D 3.0GHz to 3.6GHz on a Gigabyte motherboard. It required something better than the standard heatsink/fan.

Thanks. Yeah on DDR. Thanks.
As to OCing this one i quickly found that while the cpu can be easily OC'ed from 34 to 44(bios error with x48), the heat generated with Prime95 is easily 100C+ (coretemp1.0rc6) and not conducive to much of a lifetime. The CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 is close to a 212 but I can't fit a 212 in this case and I don't think it would make much difference anyway.
And the memory can't be OC'ed much, but that's usual. I could change the 1600's to 2133's but i doubt if I would notice much difference.
So thus endeth the experiment - I had fun for an hour or 2, and that's the point of it all! The best speed enhancer, by far, is the SSD.

Thanks again all!!!

Back