Missing Fan Sensor on Asrock 880GMH/US3

doveman

HwInfo64 shows only the CPU Fan sensor and not the second one, which is reported in the BIOS and also in Speedfan as Sys Fan on the Winbond W83677HG-I, which is the same chip as the CPU Fan sensor is on.

The reading is not always accurate and often shows 0RPM but this appears to be as a result of running the fan slowly as at full speed it reports accurately in the BIOS and even if it showed the wrong speed I'd think it should still show in HwInfo.

Attachments

• HTPC.HTM
    138.1 KB · Views: 3
I can see 2 fans being detected by HWiNFO according to the DBG file. Unfortunately the report file (HTM) doesn't include sensor data, so I can't verify what's finally displayed. Does it mean HWiNFO reports only one fan, could you please attach a screenshot ?

Martin said:
I can see 2 fans being detected by HWiNFO according to the DBG file. Unfortunately the report file (HTM) doesn't include sensor data, so I can't verify what's finally displayed. Does it mean HWiNFO reports only one fan, could you please attach a screenshot ?

Well that's typical. Now it's showing three fan sensors!

Maybe running in debug mode fixed it but it was definitely only showing the CPU Fan before.

Sysfan is the front fan and Auxfan the rear one. The BIOS only has settings to control the speed of two fans, so I imagine the Auxfan is running at full speed and the front fan quite slow, hence the sensor sometimes reading 0RPM.

Attachments

• HwInfo.png
    HwInfo.png
    46 KB · Views: 6
Are you maybe running other monitoring tools in parallel with HWiNFO? That can cause fan speeds being improperly reported.

Martin said:
Are you maybe running other monitoring tools in parallel with HWiNFO? That can cause fan speeds being improperly reported.

No other monitoring tools. It's an Arctic PWM fan http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/case-fans/73/arctic-f-pwm.html?c=2183 so maybe that, combined with the BIOS SMART Fan feature is causing some confusion.

It's obviously hard to be accurate but by a visual inspection I'd say it's running faster than the CPU fan but slower than the rear fan.

Many ASRock mainboards also use a multiplexor, which combines multiple fans into a single monitoring input. From my experience, this multiplexor is not a good idea and monitoring such fans is problematic.

Martin said:
Many ASRock mainboards also use a multiplexor, which combines multiple fans into a single monitoring input. From my experience, this multiplexor is not a good idea and monitoring such fans is problematic.

I don't think that's the case here though, as I've got three fans, three headers and three sensors.

Back