New User Here

kumurick

Dell Precision M4300
I've poked around and understand the the expresscard and the PC slot can each have a substantially different throughput rate.

I just want to be able to use one to add multi-card reading from cameras and maybe other simple stuff like that

My initial goals seem pretty innocent.
I'm looking at my available documentation and am having a hard time finding out the info I need. So I downloaded and ran HWinFO32. I'm getting lots of great info but I don't know where to look to find this.

~ Any help is appreciated ~

Thanks

kumurick said:
Dell Precision M4300
I've poked around and understand the the expresscard and the PC slot can each have a substantially different throughput rate.

I just want to be able to use one to add multi-card reading from cameras and maybe other simple stuff like that

My initial goals seem pretty innocent.
I'm looking at my available documentation and am having a hard time finding out the info I need. So I downloaded and ran HWinFO32. I'm getting lots of great info but I don't know where to look to find this.

~ Any help is appreciated ~

Thanks

...again, I just need to know where to look to find out whether my ExpressCard bay is a USB 2.0 or a PCIe 1X.

My reasoning is that if it is only the USB 2.0 and has a throughput of 60MB/sec, then I'll likely look to utilize my PCMCIA bay instead since it's max throughput is 132MB/sec. I'd also like to be able to confirm the voltages of each of these bays with the PCMCIA suppose to be getting 3.3/5.0 V and the ExpressCard 1.5/3.3 V

Go into the main HWiNFO window with a tree on the left side. Then expand the entire PCI bus and look for your ExpressCard controller. You'll then be able to determine where it is connected based on its parent.

Martin - Thanks so much for your quick reply

I have done that and can see a list.
Under Bus, I have PCI Bus #0
...and under Bus #0 I have:
Memory Controller Hub
PCI Express Root Port
USB Universal Host Controller #4
USB Universal Host Controller #5
Enhanced USB2 Controller #2
High Definition Audio
PCI Express Root Port 1
PCI Express Root Port 2
PCI Express Root Port 4
PCI Express Root Port 6
USB Universal Host Controller #1
USB Universal Host Controller #2
USB Universal Host Controller #3
Enhanced USB2 Controller #1
Direct Media Interface
LPC Bridge
IDE Controller
3-Port SATA Controller
SMBus Controller

..and then of course, under each of these I have different components. My problem is that I don't have anything plugged into my ExpressCard or PCMCIA slots and I don't know which or how they're labeled in this tree?...and I have plenty of them that are unused so it's difficult to distinguish

...maybe I'll try to find something to plug into one of them and see where it turns up...

It's hard to say when I don't see the entire list. If you would attach the Report File (preferable in XML) from your machine, I could have a look at that.

Back