NONE of the gadgets is working

Billy-Bob Biff

Hey guys,

I just received my new computer, after my i7-3770 became a senior and struggled even with Flash objects.
Back then I used OpenHardwareMonitor to display a gadget, widget or whatever you wanna call it in the right bottom of the desktop. For 4 years. Of course I got used to that.
On my new computer, I have a real mainboard (not just OEM stuff) and fans that actually respond to what I do :)D) and I'd like to see those informations on the desktop again.

And now here is something that gives me headaches for one day straight: There is no tool that creates such a widget. 

I am using a X370 chipset / AM4 board with a Ryzen 1700X. And now you can understand that this narrows down available software pretty much.
HWInfo is also the ONLY tool out there not only reporting proper core clocks, but also the "tDie" value (without the stupid AMD +20°C offset) for CPU package temperatures.
A-W-E-S-O-M-E! The one and only tool.

But too bad NONE of the friggin widgets work. I literally tried ANY of them. Nothing works. I get unsupported stuff, Samuraize does not exist and is not working under Windows 10, Rainmeter is not only hideously bad designed but also does not report a single value expect for the name of the CPU (who tests these things?!), the Widget (Vista widgets) claims there is no support enabled, whatever happened.

It's utter frustrating to see like 12 options but the admin of the website does not bother to actually check if it's still working. They apparently made changes that breaks compatibility with these, why would you still suggest me a program that "runs only under 2000, XP and 2003" (Samuraize error message upon install attempt).

So, please, is there any desktop widget that works? What is this?
Any response, maybe even to other tools, are appreciated. I'd also pay a bit for such feature.
But since I am fiddling with fan control and having my long-awaited octacore (I am hobby filmer) I'd also like to see how it performs.

The problem with these widgets/gadgets is that Microsoft has dropped built-in support of gadgets starting with Windows 8.
So you need to use some additional tool to first get gadgets working in the system. For this you might use something like 8GadgetPack.

Martin said:
The problem with these widgets/gadgets is that Microsoft has dropped built-in support of gadgets starting with Windows 8.
So you need to use some additional tool to first get gadgets working in the system. For this you might use something like 8GadgetPack.

Hello.
Well, I have this installed of course, it's one of the things I learned pretty soon after diving into this topic (Also, I never understood why they dropped DreamScene..)
But I mean, there is no plugin that works. I read so much about the tool's built-in gadget, but there is none.

Why is it such a big deal for me just to display the correct amount of cores in a widget (not directly aimed toward you or the devs of this great tool, more rhetorical).
It's day 4 now and I am so tired of tried getting this shit done. I meanwhile tried RainMeter again and they either report wrong values (??? HWinfo displays it right, I just get junk and trash displayed (temp -900000000 for example), how's that?).

Since OpenHardwareMonitor will probably take another 2 years for Ryzen support I am so stuck. Even the Windows Taskmanager does a better job than these gadgets. And that's sad.

Back