Not detecting switchable graphics card?

escott74

Hi.. I just go introduced to HWinfo in my A+ certification class and it's amazing. Thanks for developing it (and for making it free!).

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop Model SVE14A27CXH. You can see the specs here: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/SVE14A27CXH_mksp.pdf (PDF). As you can see, it says that there is an AMD Radeon GPU with 2GB memory installed. I've long suspected that my laptop never uses this card for anything. Microsoft Flight Simulator doesn't detect it and neither does Photoshop.

I dug down into HWinfo and can't find it anywhere. It's definitely not in the summary. The GPU dropdown just has GPU 0. I checked all my PCIe slots and didn't find it. Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

I have spoken to Sony about this on one occasion (upon installing FSX) and they told me, "The graphics processors will automatically switch when they need to." That's literally all they could say.

Yes, it's true that the secondary (Discrete / DGPU) is switched off by the system when it's not used. AMD GPUs powered off by Switchable Graphics are currently not detected by HWiNFO. You will need to run some GPU-intensive application and then open HWiNFO to be able to see this DGPU.

Martin said:
Yes, it's true that the secondary (Discrete / DGPU) is switched off by the system when it's not used. AMD GPUs powered off by Switchable Graphics are currently not detected by HWiNFO. You will need to run some GPU-intensive application and then open HWiNFO to be able to see this DGPU.

OK thanks. I'll give it a try. I appreciate the feedback from you. And thanks again for this amazing tool.

Back