Number of PCI slots shown by HWINFO is not accurate

tvelan

Hi,
        I am trying to use HWINFO to find our number of PCI slots available in the system, It appears to me that this info is not accurate.

When i use this on the mother board "MSI B85M G43" it shows 3xPCI, 3xPCI Express x1, 1xPCI Express x16  (Refer the attached image file HWINFO_PCI_SLOTS_For_MSI_B85M_G43.jpg) while the motherboard really contain 2xPCI express x16 and 2xPCI Express x1 slots.

Similary for Mother board "Intel DZ68DB" it shows 3xPCI, 3xPCI Express x1, 1xPCI Express x16 while it really contain 3xPCI, 2xPCIExpressx1, 1xPCI Express x16 

I have realized that dmidecode is the tool which can show slot info, but this is not realiable, it appears to me that HWINFO uses dmidecode underneath resulting in this mismatch.

Thanks
Velan

Attachments

• HWINFO_PCI_SLOTS_For_MSI_B85M_G43.jpg
    HWINFO_PCI_SLOTS_For_MSI_B85M_G43.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 7
Yes, the only way how to determine the number of slots present is via DMI and this information is often unreliable, because system/BIOS vendors often don't fill accurate information there. I'm afraid there's nothing else I can do, the only way is that the vendors fix it in their BIOSes.

Back