RTX 3080/3090 Memory/VRM temperature sensor

Can this be added in a future hwinfo?
The board seems to have a way to read this, since people have been getting "Thermal" Limit even with a 55C CPU temperature.

Igor's website seems to show some weird classified (Nvidia?) tool that actually shows the RAM temp. That blurred icon looks a lot like the NV Logo.
And it's reporting other things like GPU clock and so forth. And if that's an I2C / SPI Bus tool, then it's clearly probing a sensor, and the video Vbios has access to it
Since it needs some way to flag "Thermal" For VRAM or VRM.

Please help us, Martin!

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I'm sorry, I don't have information about such sensor :(
Do you know if it's present on all RTX 3090/3080 boards or is this just some board-specific feature?
It's quite likely that such sensor is accessed via I2C, but also quite likely that it's somehow restricted to internal-only NVIDIA functions. Otherwise I should be able to see such a device on the GPU I2C bus. AFAIK AIDA64 should be able to create a full GPU I2C bus dump, but if this device is somehow masked internally it won't show-up there.

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
The memory thermal sensor seems to be native to all GDDR6/X chips, but accessible using an internal interface only.
Unfortunately we don't know how NVIDIA exposes this information yet :(

myfab78

Hi, just came across this thread, was searching because I just acquired a 3080 Ventus and have noticed the same issue. According to both HWinfo64 and Afterburner my GPU is normally running around 60-65 under heavy gaming loads, with a maximum recorded temperature of 69 degrees, yet I am still regularly getting 'Thermal limit' on HWinfo64. So, should I be concerned, and be trying to adjust my GPU and case fan curves to bring the temps down? Or is this essentially a false reading that will hopefully be addressed in future versions of HWinfo64? And sorry if the last question is poorly worded, I am relatively new to PC gaming.

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
HWiNFO is reporting only what the GPU drivers report. So this is either a false thermal event, or it's due to the GPU memory temperature reaching its limit. But we can't verify that as currently no one except NVIDIA knows how to read the actual memory temperature.