Sketchy Fan Control Alienware 14

Hi folks,

I have an Alienware 14 ...

Trying to use HWinfo to control fan and I am finding that sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't do anything.

Is there a trick or method of getting consistency from this?  I assume the app does not need to run after the Custom Auto table is set to the desired values.  I set them they work but then I noticed that they stopped working when I closed the app until I opened the app again and went into the fan control--this just happened again--values not used until I opened fan control AGAIN even though app was open. I hope if I need to the old settings will work... sheesh...  Fan control isn't something that should be flaky....!

HWiNFO fan control needs to be active for custom fan speeds to work. This has been discussed several times here, please check other threads.

Martin said:
HWiNFO fan control needs to be active for custom fan speeds to work. This has been discussed several times here, please check other threads.

The fan window needs to be open for the app to control the fans?  Really?

And when the fan window is closed the fan stops working and the machine overheats... Really?

Really. But you can minimize that window to be hidden or configure HWiNFO so that it starts automatically with fan control active (without user intervention) as discussed several times here.

And when the fan window is closed the fan stops working and the machine overheats...  Really?

No, the fans will retain the last speed set by HWiNFO.

Note, that HWiNFO is not a full replacement for manufacturer's fan control firmware and can only do what the system allows. I'm also not responsible for the (faulty) fan control firmware mechanism. If you're not satisfied, please blame the machine vendor in first place.

Martin said:

Really. But you can minimize that window to be hidden or configure HWiNFO so that it starts automatically with fan control active (without user intervention) as discussed several times here.

And when the fan window is closed the fan stops working and the machine overheats...  Really?

No, the fans will retain the last speed set by HWiNFO.

Note, that HWiNFO is not a full replacement for manufacturer's fan control firmware and can only do what the system allows. I'm also not responsible for the (faulty) fan control firmware mechanism. If you're not satisfied, please blame the machine vendor in first place.

The app was setup with run on boot options and minimize options...  The actual fan control window seems to have to remain open and I mean OPEN perhaps even with focus, although not sure, it appears inconsistent in its functionality..  Also the settings don't hold, the last clicked option does not stay, when trying to switch back to machine control that also does not stay, the control is intermittent and has caused overheating, which does not happen with the half assed vendor designed bios implementation...

I can't see why a window would need to be sitting there staring at me....for a setting or settings to work...IMO a clumsy implementation...  Also the fixed speed doesn't seem to work right either..  but whatever, it's uninstalled now.

Back