Some fan sensors have become unstable

brian61

First post - have been using HWinfo64 and HWinfoMonitor very successfully since I upgraded about 2 years ago.
A few months ago, I started to notice occasional "glitches" in most of the fan speeds - all 3 chassis fans, but the CPU fan speed is rock solid.
Now, the interesting thing: it appears the fans are monitored off two different chips.

IT8721F
- CPU
- Chassis 1
- Chassis 2

ATI PM2
- Fan2

Chassis 1&2 bounce from zero to normal speed.
Fan2 is stuck at a measured value of 681600 most of the time, briefly dropping to normal occasionally, and then right back up.

So I have watched this slowly get worse over the last few months, and started to wonder if it was time to change out the 3 fans
- they are (were) identical in age/speed/cheapness.

Replaced all 3 today, and now the readings are still flaky - actually worse.

Any ideas what might have changed - other hardware issues?

I tried upgrading from 4.48 of HWINFO64 to 5.34, but no difference.

My system:
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
AMD FX-4100
4x 2GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (Asustek variant)
Radeon R7 SSD
Windows 7 SP1

System runs very cool, very quiet, very stable.  No overclocking - everything bone stock.

I'm stumped!

Brian

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
That seems to be some problem during readout of sensor values.
Are you perhaps running HWiNFO with some other monitoring tool (including ASUS) ? That could cause such issues.

brian61

No.  Sadly the ASUS tools worked fine (not installed this time) but a huge memory/performance bloat.

On another note:  Since installing the latest version of HWinfo, I rebooted, and suddenly many of my settings/monitors have disappeared entirely, so will be doing a complete uninstall/reinstall late tonight (after work).

Will post back with results.

Thanks!

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
You might try completely "Reset Preferences" in main settings of HWiNFO, or "Restore Original Order" in sensor settings/layout to see if those values come back.