System freezes on IDE/SCSI

nicx

My pc will freeze up when it gets to IDE/SCSI. I'm trying to find out if there is any known causes or fixes I could do to remedy this. Attached is the debug. It will run with IDE disabled but would really like to find out why this is doing this.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    334.3 KB · Views: 2
In case your drive is attached to the Intel SATA/RAID controller, this might be a problem of Intel RST drivers, which is described here:
http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-IMPORTANT-Known-Issues--412
section 5. describes problems with SMART/drive temperatures because of certain versions of Intel RST drivers. Some versions of these drivers where also know to cause crashes.
Upgrading Intel RST drivers fixes this problem in most cases.

I have checked the Debug File you provided more detailed and it seems your disk is attached to the ASMedia SATA Controller and it seems to use default Windows 8 SATA AHCI driver. Please try to upgrade this driver if there's a newer version available, or replace it with a driver from ASMedia if that maybe helps.
If neither of these methods work, then you can disable the entire IDE Drive Scan in HWiNFO. That should help, but you'll loose any drive information including temperature monitoring.

Martin said:
I have checked the Debug File you provided more detailed and it seems your disk is attached to the ASMedia SATA Controller and it seems to use default Windows 8 SATA AHCI driver. Please try to upgrade this driver if there's a newer version available, or replace it with a driver from ASMedia if that maybe helps.
If neither of these methods work, then you can disable the entire IDE Drive Scan in HWiNFO. That should help, but you'll loose any drive information including temperature monitoring.

Thank you for looking through that, it ended up being combination of the 2. Tried the rst drivers first not seeing the second post, and still would crash but it would give a few more seconds. Just saw second post and installed asmedia drivers, started right up with no problem.

Thanks for your feedback.
This experience can now help other users with ASMedia SATA Controllers running Windows 8 too.

Back