Thermal Throttling (Yes/No) sensor missing from Radeon RX 580

Benie

Hello. First off, why are you guys using a forum of all things in 2023? Why not at least have an unofficial Discord server for this program?
Anyway, with that out of the way, I have an MSI Radeon RX 580 with a bit of a 'troll spirit' in it that seems to be defying all logic. It has been doing 88-89c at 1920x1080, yet I've been no signs of thermal throttling of the core clock. Yet most (if not all of) my friends (and other people I've spoken to) swear up and down "those are dangerously hot temps!!". And I'm not even sure myself if what I'm seeing is perfectly alright or if it actually is thermal throttling (as this is the first time I've ever had this issue, as in the past I never played at my monitor's recommended resolution).
I've been quite desperate, grasping at straws looking for anything that would tell me either "don't worry, you're fine" or "yeah, you definitely should replace the paste. Even though it's not visibly happening, you need to get it taken care of before it actually does start happening".

So I decided to search "is my GPU thermal throttling?" in Google, and pretty much every video mentioned this program (instead of something like CPUID HWMonitor), which really surprised me. I have never heard of this 'HWInfo' program in my life, but after what I was told about in one video, it won me over. They said the GPU sensors have a 'thermal throttling' sensor, that displays a simple 'Yes or No' if your card is throttling. But my card lacks this. Is this just a "blame the manufacturer" issue? Or is it that only NVIDIA GPUs have this option?
Yet, my CPU (Ryzen 5 2600), does have this sensor.

Last edited:
The GPU most likely has a throttling feature but if you don't see such sensor then it doesn't expose its state. Most later GPUs usually do.
It's not uncommon for some GPUs to reach such temperature range but it's not recommended to stay there for extended time periods. There are several ways to reduce the temperature including additional case fans directed at the GPU.

Back