Very high VIN7 voltage reported. What is it?

Diabolik070

What is it? I just assembled a i7 8700 non-k system and in the process of reducing voltages across the board for thermals and longevity and has been successfull with the VCore and VCCIO/SA and RAM voltage, but I can't find any info anywhere about a "VIN7" voltage setting. I tried fiddling around with the bios voltages which are so far unknown to me and unmeasured in the BIOS ( all they say is "auto" ), but all that got me is a trip inside the case to remove the battery to clear CMOS since it wouldn't even post.

It concerns me a bit because right now, according to HWinfo, this voltage is sitting at a crazy high 1.528v...

I suppose VIN means "voltage input #7", and that it's generically labeled instead of specifically labeled so far because the program doesn't know what it is exactly.

In the bios, those that I don't know their exact counterparts in HWinfo that I can control by going from auto to manual are:

CPU PLL OC Voltage
CPU PLL SFR Voltage
RING PLL SFR Voltage
SA PLL SFR Voltage
MC PLL SFR Voltage
CPU ST PLL Voltage

Motherboard is a MSI Z370 PC PRO. Any clues as to which is the VIN7? Thanks! :)

Yes, VIN stands for "Voltage Input" and it's a generic naming for sensors which meaning is unknown. Such sensors are most probably not used (not connected to a real source) on mainboard and thus can provide erratic values. I wouldn't worry about it.

desgen said:
Seems like a tradition if there's a generic label issue the dev ends up wanting a debug file, so to get you started so he wont have to wait and ask when the he's around.

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-IMPORTANT-Read-this-before-submitting-a-report

Here it is... Report from HWinfo and the debug file from the debug mode. Voltage isn't erratic btw, but moves like a normal reading would from time to time, varying by millivolts ( altho it hasn't in this sensor session, it stayed stable ).

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.7z
    75.8 KB · Views: 3
Back