What does HWinfo CPU temperature sensors readings mean?

^B&

I have R7 3700X and the temp sensors listed are: CPU(Tctl/Tdie), CPU(Die average), CPU CCD1(Tdie).

Does any sensor in hwinfo report IO die temperature?

Does CPU(tctl/tdie) report highest temperature only for CCD or for CCD and IO Die?

Is "CPU(die average)" average value of CCD and IO die, or only average of CCD?

CPU CCD1(Tdie) is the hottest spot for CCD right?

We don't know which exact sensors (among dozens in the package) are taken into a particular value.
AMD doesn't disclose this and the value reported might also theoretically depend on BIOS/AGESA version. In the past AMD said that "CPU(die average)" covers CCDs only, but we don't know if this is still true.
There's no official dedicated IOD sensor present. I have experimented with some sensors (a few dozens in fact) that seemed to cover the IOD only, but since we didn't get any confirmation, it would just be a speculation.

We don't know which exact sensors (among dozens in the package) are taken into a particular value.
AMD doesn't disclose this and the value reported might also theoretically depend on BIOS/AGESA version. In the past AMD said that "CPU(die average)" covers CCDs only, but we don't know if this is still true.
There's no official dedicated IOD sensor present. I have experimented with some sensors (a few dozens in fact) that seemed to cover the IOD only, but since we didn't get any confirmation, it would just be a speculation.
Thanks for your answer!
Ehh i have this problem that i didn't tighten two mounting screws equally while i was screwing down CPU cooler. It most certainly caused bad thermal paste spread (i used one dot in the middle method). I know that because thermal paste flow out on 3 sides of the ihs, but one side is perfectly clean. Next to this clear side i believe IO die is located. I'm a little worried about IO die temperatures, and I'm considering repasting.

Other than that CPU temperatures seem to be ok. Maybe not great but I doubt it can be lower.

OK, try this, but it's unofficial without any guarantee. ...............removed .................

You should get a bunch of new temperatures called "TMON..." that might represent the IOD.

Last edited:
OK, try this, but it's unofficial without any guarantee. ...............removed .................

You should get a bunch of new temperatures called "TMON..." that might represent the IOD.
Just check if any of them isn't suspiciously high?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. See how they behave under pure CPU/core load or during heavy I/O operations.

I have R7 3700X and the temp sensors listed are: CPU(Tctl/Tdie), CPU(Die average), CPU CCD1(Tdie).

Does any sensor in hwinfo report IO die temperature?

Does CPU(tctl/tdie) report highest temperature only for CCD or for CCD and IO Die?

Is "CPU(die average)" average value of CCD and IO die, or only average of CCD?

CPU CCD1(Tdie) is the hottest spot for CCD right?
Most likely tctl/tdie is the hotspot of entire package. It doesnt really matter as the hotest spot will always be on the CCD and not on IOD.
CCD1(Tdie) must be from 1 sensor on the CCD on a specific location (1 side probably). You might also call it "Edge Temp".
the "die avarage" is unclear if its only from CCD(s) or all dies incuding IOD. Again it doesnt really matter. On light loads the tctl/tdie is the one to follow. On heavy, near 100%, load all 3 readings should be around the same because the amount of heat is such that spreads everywhere before any cooling device absorbs it.

Why are you really interested so much for IOD temp? Just curious...

@Martin with RDI I got 24 TMON readings (12 RDIL + 12 RDIR). What are those?
FYI the CPU is cooling is AIO. Water temp is 26C, ambient (rad) is 24~25C and some of those TMON readings are down to 23~24C. This cant be right... right?

HWiNFO_30_12_2020.png

Why are you really interested so much for IOD temp? Just curious...
I have explained before, this is because of thermal paste application. I have Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler, which has a little complex mounting mechanism, but it uses only 2 screws to mount the cooler to the kind of metal brackets. So you have only 2 mounting points. I used simplest thermal paste application method - fairly big dot in the middle of the IHS. Then i put the cooler on and started screwing down these two screws equally and little by little. By the end I noticed that i failed in screwing down both screws equally and one screw was near to it's limits while second was few screwdriver rotations behind. Recently I noticed that thermal paste came out of 3 IHS sides but one side is clean. And guess what. Clean side is located next to this screw that I screwed down as first. Also on 2 IHS sides, which are between these two cooler mounting screws, thermal paste leak is the lesser the closer to the clean side it is. This might indicate bad thermal paste spread. Clean side is where the IO Die is located.

Let's say that there's not much thermal paste over IO die. Should I be worried and repaste, or it won't make that much of a difference?

I don't have information about placement of those TMON sensors, hence why this feature is not official.
It was assumed in the past that they might be in the IOD on Zen2 and later, but this is just an assumption. In other families they might have a different placement and meaning.

What are your temp readings? Idle, load?
I'm using -0.1V offset. Lowest idle is around 33C and highest probably around 45-50C. With the offset Tctl never exceeds 70C. While gaming it is usually around 60C with spikes up to 66-69C

I don't have information about placement of those TMON sensors, hence why this feature is not official.
It was assumed in the past that they might be in the IOD on Zen2 and later, but this is just an assumption. In other families they might have a different placement and meaning.
Anyway they seem insignificant, and a little wrong maybe. havent test is thoroughly so far... tho. I will get back on them.
I'm using -0.1V offset. Lowest idle is around 33C and highest probably around 50C. With the offset Tctl never exceeds 70C. While gaming it is usually around 60C with spikes up to 66-69C
Seem normal, and depends also on the ambient temp (room, case).

Seem normal, and depends also on the ambient temp (room, case).
Without offset it was quite hot, but i had similar results before so I guess that's how 3700X works. Anyway my main concern is IO die temp. Like I said I'm not sure how good is thermal paste spread over IO die. Is it important to provide good cooling for IO die?

Next time I'll spread thermal paste manually. So far should I reapply thermal paste to be sure that IO die has good cooling? If not, i won't, because I don't want to waste thermal paste. I've wasted enough recently...

As I said the main heat source is CCD. IOD can’t be hotter.
Your CPU max heat output by default and when it’s auto settings is 88W (CCD+IOD).
IOD alone is just 10-15W, and in very rare situations could reach ~20W. So you shouldn’t be concerned about IOD temp too much.

As for paste application next time spread a thin layer evenly on IHS and try to screw cooler as evenly as possible. A little at time to both sides until it’s tight.

Also forgot to mention that the IOD is placed in a more centered location that the CCD.
Can’t remember the orientation though on the socket.

The IOD is the large die

1609320682992.jpeg

Back