What is normal behavior for CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) for 5900X

rafpap03

I put together my 5900X, Asrock b550m Steel Legend, Artic Freezer 420 aio.When I'm not gaming the vids are usually 0.9 - 1.1 V. My idle temps are always around 35 - 40C. But it sounds like it's CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) that I should be paying attention to.

My CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) is usually around 1.3 V even at idle. It can dip to 1.29 V but usually goes back up pretty quick. I tried closing everything like Corsair ICUE, Logitech GHUB, etc. but it made no difference. I checked CPU-Z and it usually shows around 1.0 V for core voltage.

I'm running the latest Asrock bios, latest AMD b550 chipset drivers, windows balanced power plan. I also reset bios to default and it didn't really lower CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN).

Is this normal behavior for CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) for 5900X despite VID's and vcore being low and idle temps being low? Or should it be dropping as well and something isn't set right?

Hw info screenshot when my pc is idleing

Core VID(s) are not important and they mean nothing really.
VID is just a request of voltage.
The final request is "CPU Core VID (effective)" and it would be very close to "CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN)" which is the core voltage feed.

These CPUs are far too dynamic. Voltage and temperature can be all over the place. You can see differences between sessions that they seem the same but avg voltage, temp etc... can be very different.
Different boards, different BIOS versions, even with the same AMD AGESA version are managing the CPU differently.
Windows Power Plan can make also a difference and of course background services.

Dont be intimidated by high voltage (1.4~1.5V). Its typical for a Ryzen 3000/5000series CPU to be aggressive and itchy on voltage to the slightest load. What really matters is voltage under sustained loads and that would be way below 1.4V for a 5900X

Look the difference between avg voltage (SVI2 TFN) below...

Typical usage of browsing, videos, a light online gaming, some idling...

HWiNFO64_19h_5900X_typical_use.png

HWiNFO64_14h_typical_use.png

HWiNFO64_3h_typical_use.png

1663352754938.png

I also should point out that I am using PBO on custom limits (PPT: 145W, EDC:125A, TDC:100A), a negative Curve Optimizer and a positive boost override (50MHz) for a max of 5.0GHz. Also I've set the CPU temp limit to 75°C.
I dont really care for multithreading loads (100% CPU loads).
In most of those screenshots the ambient temp is 28~29°C.

Core VID(s) are not important and they mean nothing really.
VID is just a request of voltage.
The final request is "CPU Core VID (effective)" and it would be very close to "CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN)" which is the core voltage feed.

These CPUs are far too dynamic. Voltage and temperature can be all over the place. You can see differences between sessions that they seem the same but avg voltage, temp etc... can be very different.
Different boards, different BIOS versions, even with the same AMD AGESA version are managing the CPU differently.
Windows Power Plan can make also a difference and of course background services.

Dont be intimidated by high voltage (1.4~1.5V). Its typical for a Ryzen 3000/5000series CPU to be aggressive and itchy on voltage to the slightest load. What really matters is voltage under sustained loads and that would be way below 1.4V for a 5900X

Look the difference between avg voltage (SVI2 TFN) below...

Typical usage of browsing, videos, a light online gaming, some idling...

View attachment 8182

View attachment 8183

View attachment 8184

View attachment 8185

I also should point out that I am using PBO on custom limits (PPT: 145W, EDC:125A, TDC:100A), a negative Curve Optimizer and a positive boost override (50MHz) for a max of 5.0GHz. Also I've set the CPU temp limit to 75°C.
I dont really care for multithreading loads (100% CPU loads).
In most of those screenshots the ambient temp is 28~29°C.
Thanks for your reply. So when my cpu is idling the svi2 should be at 1.4+ volts all the time and when i play a game or run heavy workloads the svi2 should drop. Did i understand correctly?
But as i can see your svi2 voltage will drop at 1.050volts.Mine will never ever drop that low no matter what.My power plan is balanced.

When the CPU is idling the voltage can be anything between 0.9V up to 1.48~1.5V. Depending on burst of loads in the background.
On games because the CPU is not loaded fully and only a few threads are going on the voltage is around 1.4~1.45V typically. It needs this so it can boost (some cores) to speeds up to 4.8+GHz. If load goes up (more threads loaded) and EDC goes up then voltage is dropping, as max speed also.

Try this:
Go into additional/advanced power settings and set minimum processor state at 5%. Probably is at 99% now.

1663354679850.png

When the CPU is idling the voltage can be anything between 0.9V up to 1.48~1.5V. Depending on burst of loads in the background.
On games because the CPU is not loaded fully and only a few threads are going on the voltage is around 1.4~1.45V typically. It needs this so it can boost (some cores) to speeds up to 4.8+GHz. If load goes up (more threads loaded) and EDC goes up then voltage is dropping, as max speed also.

Try this:
Go into additional/advanced power settings and set minimum processor state at 5%. Probably is at 99% now.

View attachment 8186
The minimum processor state was at 100%.I now set it to 5%.Im also using negative curve optimzer per core with pbo limits set do disabled.Is it safe or im degrading faster my cpu?(Sorry its my first ryzen processor and im new to this stuff).Also how do you have ryzen balanced power plan?

I'm not sure when this power plan was installed. I have a bunch of power plans, some installed by drivers, some are custom made for Ryzen3000 series. (I use to have a R5 3600).
I use chipset drivers from AMD website and not from board vendor (Gigabyte).

1663355710229.png

PBO limits disabled meaning that you are on defaults
PPT: 142W (max power)
TDC: 90A
EDC: 140A (max current)
Do not ever set PBO on motherboard limits because they tend to raise those to stupidly high limits

Within those default limits you can not degrade the CPU unless you use to much PBO scalar. Keep that to auto or X1 and your CPU will be fine for years.
What can degrade a Ryzen CPU is too high EDC (way above 140A) along with high operating temp (85~90°C) and high voltage. All these 3 together can degrade the CPU in the long run.

Curve optimizer is just a way to tell the CPU to raise clocks on the same voltage. The only bad thing that can happen from setting this on too high negative is instability. No damage whatsoever.
In that case you just back down the magnitude a step or 2. Typically you use fewer steps on best cores and more steps on worst cores progressively.

Last edited:
Also this can make some difference on your readings. Find it in main settings (right-click tray icon)

1663359064461.png

Back