What's Rest of Chip Power and why is it so high?

veirian

On idle it seems like my CPU is using almost 15W, 10 of which are labelled as Rest of chip power. Does anyone know what that encompasses and what the problem could be?

rest_of_chip_power.png
Just under the CPU in the sensors tab (highlighted in yellow in the image). I think it might have to do with some USB devices but I only have a mouse plugged in so I don't see why it uses 10W.

No, it's part of the CPU power. Hovering mouse over it (if you have tooltips enabled) will tell you more.

I´d noticed the same. Around 10W on a rocket lake.

On other cpu goes around 1W or less. Not sure if it has to do with ram OC or other stuff.

And also dont know if some voltage adjustment in bios could lower this.

I was using iGPU and thought it was some kind related, but installed a GPU and Rest of chip power went up from 7-8W to 10W.

Last edited:
I´d noticed the same. Around 10W on a rocket lake.

On other cpu goes around 1W or less. Not sure if it has to do with ram OC or other stuff.

And also dont know if some voltage adjustment in bios could lower this.

I was using iGPU and thought it was some kind related, but installed a GPU and Rest of chip power went up from 7-8W to 10W.
I had this problem for so long I actually managed to investigate this and it's caused by intel gpu not being set to idle state by nvidia optimus hence why this only occurs when you have both drivers active. No idea how to solve it, I still have it running at 11w, rest of the chip power 10,5w. Down to 0,5w if i disable either nvidia gpu or intel gpu. And there is actually a moment after exitting the game where optimus driver primes the gpu back to intel, you can see it drop to 0,5w just before going idle, after that, the wattage bumps again.

Last edited:
Interesting observation, thanks for sharing. I think you'll need to contact either NVIDIA or Intel to resolve this.

Hi. Nice findings.

On my case, it's a desktop PC. I'm using nvidia card. CPU has onboard graphics (rocket lake), but seems it's disabled.

Asus bios doesn't have specific igpu disable option, but is not showing on system devices, so I guess it's disabled. Not sure if there is another setting to completely disable it. Not sure what else to try.

Back