XFX R9_290 Core clock issues with HWiNFO64

durquavian

Long story: Bought an XFX R9-290 over a month ago.  Put it in computer and had an issue which at the time I thought was Powertune but unfortunately it died after only 2 hours so could not experiment more to ascertain the real issue.  So got a NEW replacement today and it was doing the same thing.  So after a reboot to disable ULPS I decided not to run HWiNFO64 and the issue was gone.  Without turning off the computer I ran HWiNFO64 and it did it again.  Turned it off and no issue.

So let it be known it may be me (user error) as I can find no word online at all for anyone using a R9 series card and HWiNFO64.  Below I will list my specs so it can help.  If there are settings I need to adjust I can use the help.

FX 8350 @ 4.4Ghz (20multi with 220FSB)
MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 motherboard
Corsair GS800 PSU
Corsair Vengence RAM 16GB(4x4) @ 1760Mhz
XFX R9-290 at stock

[attachment=1198]

Attachments

• HWiNFO64-R9-290.png
    HWiNFO64-R9-290.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 4
Sorry, but from the description you provided I can't fully understand what the problem is. I just assume that after you launch HWiNFO it crashes, or the screen goes black ?
Try to disable the "GPU I2C Support" option if that fixes it.

Sorry, realized late that I didn't really go into detail on the issue.

Well I guess nevermind. Wound up doing a windows7 reinstall last night and no issues now. Sorry for wasting your time, however I am glad it works now. This is the best monitoring software, bar none. I have been preaching it for a while. Thx anyway.

OK so the reason it seemed to be fixed was that it wasn't picking up the VRM sensors, same results as deselecting GPU I2C Support (tested it ). 

[attachment=1199]

What you can see hopefully is that the core drops consistently with the VRM Sensors on and not at all with them off.  Fortunately it means I can still use HWiNFO, a must have for me now, but does mean I can not monitor my VRM temps.  My case is air-conditioned so it isn't a huge deal, but I am an info junkie so I would like it to work.

Just tell what you would like me to run as far as testing.  However I am very leery of prolonged runs with it as the first one died (probably unrelated).

Attachments

• More helpful2.png
    More helpful2.png
    324 KB · Views: 3
Back