Version 8.x “Requires an Interactive Window Station”

Kdt179

Dear Martin,

My scenario: I use an Intel NUC that provides data collection from systems using SignalK. I use your awesome software to monitor the NUC. Since the NUC runs most of the time without me being logged on, I start HwInfo (v7.7x) using task scheduler set to trigger at startup, whether a user is logged on or not. This gets HwInfo going, but obviously not visible to a user when they log on. My solution was to launch HwInfo from within the Powershell script that does that also does the sensor data collection from Shared Memory and sends it to Influx. All is good.

When upgrading HwInfo to version 8.x, HwInfo can no longer be started. The script captures the following error.

| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PS>TerminatingError(Start-Process): "This command cannot be run due to the error: An error occurred trying to start process 'C:\program files\hwinfo64\HWiNFO64.exe' with working directory 'C:\program files\hwinfo64\'. This operation requires an interactive window station."

Start-Process: C:\Users\ktimm\Documents\Scripts\HwInfo.ps1:472
Line |
472 | Start-Process $hwinfo -Verb RunAs -WorkingDirectory $hwinfoWkDir
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have tried launching with both HwInfo64.exe and HwInfo64Launcher.exe. HwInfo also fails to start if launched from the task scheduler (at startup, no user logged on), the error information just isn’t as robust.

Any thoughts? I’m guessing this has something to do with the new OSD support? If so, can the new OSD capability be made optional? If it is possible, would you consider making HwInfo able to run as a service?

Grateful for your support! Thank you.

Ken

Martin, thank you for your quick reply!

Moved my script to \Program Files\HwInfo64 just in case, and invoked HwInfo64Launcher.exe from the script, unfortunately without success. HwInfo64 did not load, although the previous error ("requires interactive window station") did not report (guessing it didn't pass through?).

I'm willing to try anything you suggest. Thanks again!

Ken

Make sure the current path (working directory) is set to the same folder where both the launcher and HWiNFO64 are located.

Confirmed paths are set on the task that launches the script, as well as in the script that trys to start HwInfo64Launcher. I'm happy to send you a script stub that demonstrates the problem, but it can also be seen, I believe, if one were to try and start LaunchHwInfo64 as a task with trigger set "at startup", and in general tab select to run whether user is logged on or not, and run with highest privileges. It seems like there has to be a user logged on?

Well, that's quite possible, I have never evaluated a different scenario. Should be easy to test if it works "when user is logged on".

It works great for me if I'm logged on; same with task scheduler, starting the task at user logon. Hope it can work (ver 8.x) if no one is logged on!! It does work in this scenario in ver 7.x.

Thanks again for your help!

Back