Alienware 18 cant change GPU Fan speed

scott73

I have a Alienware 18, have installed HWiNFO64 but cant seem to change the fan speed for the GPU fan. The fan works as it spins up for a few seconds when you boot the laptop but will not come on in window even when it hits 100c.

Have updated to latest Bios
Running windows 8.1

I have read a few threads from a wile back but still unsure if this can be done on the Alienware 18

Any help would be great and thank you for a great piece of software as I used it on my previous machine  :)

Independent control of all fans seems to be possible on the 2015 models only - Alienware 15, 15 R2 and 17 R2. Other don't seem to allow it, I'm afraid.

scott73 said:
I have a Alienware 18, have installed HWiNFO64 but cant seem to change the fan speed for the GPU fan. The fan works as it spins up for a few seconds when you boot the laptop but will not come on in window even when it hits 100c.

Have updated to latest Bios
Running windows 8.1

I have read a few threads from a wile back but still unsure if this can be done on the Alienware 18

Any help would be great and thank you for a great piece of software as I used it on my previous machine  :)

HWINFO64 SETTINGS...
Uncheck EC Support under "Programs -> Settings -> Safety" and THEN be sure to go to the Sensors section and disable monitoring of "DELL EC". Link to a great guide for you. http://imgur.com/a/UYC3s#0
DELL EC only lets you set 3 different fan speeds in AW17/18. Compal EC mode lets you set the fan speed higher and in finer steps than DELL EC, but on this systems this mode can cause higher system latency, stability issues, or problems with system shutdown. If you don't experience any issues with EC Support enabled, that's the preferred mode. I personally  put the fans at maximum under heavy load in Hwinfo fan control. Otherwise just default fan profile from bios.

Back