Asus Rog B550-e Bios temp vs HWInfo/ryzen master

Hello,

I am trying to tune the Fans of my cpu and case. I noticed the following:

The source for the fans in the Bios is "CPU".
There is no indication what sensor.

So anyway. My motherboard can display the temperature of the CPU on the small qcode display.

When underload... HWinfo and Ryzen master are showing me the Temp correctly 62degrees. The motherboard display was showing 51-52.

I tuned the fan to ramp on 60degrees.. they never ramped up because the source for the Fans is CPU=51.... the thing is in HW monitor under Motherboard i can see 2 sensors: "CPU package" which correspond to the ryzen sensors and another "CPU" which corresponds the source used for the fan curves and is 10-12degrees cooler under load...

Is this a bug in the motherboard ? i mean i cnat understand the purpose of this offset

Attachments

• InkedAnnotation_2020-09-12_103535_LI.jpg
    InkedAnnotation_2020-09-12_103535_LI.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 14
What cooler are you using?
Usually the CPU fan controlling temp is the “CPU (Tctl/Tdie)“ by default. Where on the board did you plug the CPU fan(s)?

What cooler are you using?
Usually the CPU fan controlling temp is the “CPU (Tctl/Tdie)“ by default. Where on the board did you plug the CPU fan(s)?
Hello,

i am using the Noctua NH-u12s... a si said i cam set the Qcode display "cpu temp" and it is showing the lower temp (51 degree in my previous picture)..ans since the fan curves are set to ramp at 60c they didnt ramp up....setting the fans to ramp at 50c did work... which confirms that the cpu source is the lower one

Monitoring chips on a mainboard usually don't report CPU die temperatures because they have a sensor located somewhere in the CPU socket. Therefore it's quite normal that they read lower temperatures than the CPU itself reports about its core(s) - this is consistent with reality because the temperature inside the CPU is higher. They may also be much slower to register temperature changes, which can be seen by rapidly changing load on the CPU.

Regards
Dalai

Thanks...under motherbiard sensor there is another called CPU package...which corresponds to the ryzen master and hwinfo cpu readings (62c in my picture)..why asus dont just use this one ...

I believe its an ASUS X570/B550 thing. I searched old threads with screenshots and seems that all ASUS X570/B550 have about the same temp sensor readings. I dont have a "CPU Package" temp reading on my board, but I do have a "CPU" temp reading though and its identical to "CPU (Tctl/Tdie). "Tctl" stands for "Temp_control" and it should control the fan of the CPU air cooler.

Untitled13.png

Unfortunately I can't test it as I have an AIO and it's fans are controlled by water temp.
I don't know also if every ASUS X570/B550 user is getting the same behavior as @christizzz. Have you tried to update board's BIOS and chipset* drivers to the latest?

*I strongly suggest to install chipset drivers only from AMD directly and not ASUS

thank you.. so its the CPU temp is definetely not Tctl in my case... its always around 10 degrees cooler... i have the latest amd chipset :(
on the other hand CPU_package ist the same as Tctl in my case... but its the normal "CPU" one that is used to control the fans...

What about BIOS version?
Take a look of the latest’s description

v1004 (2020/08/18)
Improve system performance and stability
Improve Fan control function
Improve DRAM stability
Update AM4 AGESA combo V2 PI 1.0.8.0
Improve system stability
Improve DRAM performance

Weird it is...
You don’t have any software installed for fan control and you only using BIOS fan curves and/or temp targets?
If you are sure about it then you could contact ASUS about this.

Weird it is...
You don’t have any software installed for fan control and you only using BIOS fan curves and/or temp targets?
If you are sure about it then you could contact ASUS about this.

i was worried that like the temps will rise too high the fans wont kick in... but in asus bioses the fan curves are set in a way that the fans kicks to 100% at 75degrees... and we cant change this... so when the socket sensor ist at 75degrees it means that the cpu is around 85-90 ..which kicks the fan to 100%... i think it still works...

Back