BSOD after replacing mobo.

Carlitost

Hello there,

I recently changed my mobo with an older one with the same H61 chipset. (p8h61-m LE r2.0 to p8h61-m PRO)
I kept the windows 10 installation and everything is fine.
The first 3-4 times that I ran hwinfo, I had no problems whatsoever, but today I'm getting BSODs while trying to run it.
There are no other hardware changes and no BIOS option changes, except only a change in boot priority.
I've attached the dbg file and my rig is this:

Corsair SV650
ASUS p8h61-m PRO
Intel i3 3220
Kingston hyperx black ddr3 @ 9-9-9-24 1600mhz 1.65v
Gigabyte gtx 560 Ti OC
SSD 850 EVO 250G (OS)
WD Caviar Black 500G

Thanks in advance.
Nick.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Hello,
the attached Debug File doesn't show any problems. Was it recorded while the BSOD occurred ? If not, then please try to create such DBG file.
You might also try to disable Drive Scan to see if that will help.

Hello Martin,

Nope, the dbg was created after the last bsod. Hwinfo opened normally (debug mode). After that, I closed it immediately and never ran it again since.
I thought debug mode works like safe mode and didn't occur to me that hwinfo opened normally (probably?) by chance.
If dbg file takes dumps into consideration then I guess I'm outta luck, since for some reason, it doesn't gather information during the bsod and the percentage stays at 0%
Also there is no info in event logs, just info about system restarts.

My settings for system failure are:
*Write event to the system log
*Automatic memory dump
*No automatic restart or overwrite of existing files

I'll run the program more times in debug mode. Hopefully I'll get a bsod (lol). I'll also try what you suggested.

Thanks again for your time and help.
With appreciation, Nick.

No, Debug File works as the normal mode, plus writes an additional dump of the detection process. So if the system crashes, I can see in the dump where it crashed.
Judging by the behavior you provided and that I can see an ASMedia SATA Controller on your machine, I assume the problem is with Drive Scan - the ASMedia driver crashes the system when it's queried by HWiNFO. I had several such reports including that it doesn't crash when Debug Mode is enabled. So if you disable Drive Scan and run without Debug Mode and it doesn't crash, I think that will prove it. If that's the case it might help to update the ASMedia SATA Controller driver with the latest version, or replace the driver with the default Microsoft one. Multiple users reported that it fixed the problem.

Hello again,

Funny thing is that I was just going to mention that I forgot to tell you about a change that I made after the first 3,4 times that I ran the program. The change was that I moved both my drives from Sata II to the Sata III controller (ASMedia).. Sorry about that.
So, after multiple tries in every mode, it seems that getting a bsod is random, while running in sensors only mode results in a bsod almost 100%. (it seems so at least)
I also managed to get a bsod after some tries in debug mode. I've attached the specific DBG file.
Running the program with drive scan disabled, as you suggested, won't result in a bsod. Ran it many times in every mode with no issues.
In addition, I'd like to let you know that I've tried to update the sata driver (using latest driver from ASUS site) multiple times to no avail.. When I try to update through device manager, Windows indicate that the latest driver is already installed. Installing it via setup.exe results in a single "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" entry in device manager instead of two entries (dunno why this happens). Most people on the internet suggest that after installing the driver, there should be an entry named "ASM106x SATA Host Controller", which I don't have. At this point I'd like to let you know that I have the driver installed via setup while doing all these tries with hwinfo.

Thanks again.
With appreciation, Nick.

Attachments

• bsodDBG.rar
    29.6 KB · Views: 1
Carlitost

A driver from the previous board was removed? If they were, then this may be enough, especially if you were the other chips controllers.

Your current m/b https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_PRO/specifications/ used ASMedia chip's, but other m/b can use another controller chip. A samples - my m/b GA-Z68AP-D3 used Ethron ET168A USB controller, another m/b GA-Z68M-D2H don't have integrated USB 3.0 controller and I install discrete PCIe x1 Gen 2 USB 3.0 board based on Ethron ET168A chip, also another m/b can use any USB 3.0 chip - Renesas mPD72020x or TI TUSB7320/7340 or VIA, e.t.c. ...

VictorVG said:
Carlitost

A driver from the previous board was removed? If they were, then this may be enough, especially if you were the other chips controllers.

Your current m/b https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_PRO/specifications/ used ASMedia chip's, but other m/b can use another controller chip. A samples - my m/b GA-Z68AP-D3 used Ethron ET168A USB controller, another m/b GA-Z68M-D2H don't have integrated USB 3.0 controller and I install discrete PCIe x1 Gen 2 USB 3.0 board based on Ethron ET168A chip, also another m/b can use any USB 3.0 chip - Renesas mPD72020x or TI TUSB7320/7340 or VIA, e.t.c. ...

Hello VictorVG,

I had no drivers for SATA installed with the previous motherboard.
After swaping the mobos and moving the drives to ASM controller and before installing the ASMedia driver (via setup), I uninstalled sata controller drivers (windows set drivers) through device manager.

Ok, so I guess disabling drive scan is the only way to move forward unfortunately.

Thanks again Martin for the quick replies and your help :)
With appreciation, Nick.

Unless you find a way how to replace the ASMedia driver with the default Microsoft one, this is currently the only way how to get it working.

Back