BSOD if MSI Afterburner installed

Been tracking down difficult BSOD's...

Re-installed windows, and slowly installed programs.  

Also been using driver verifier to figure out where the problem is.  For a week it's been solid as I installed new things, allowed it to burn in, etc...  Final tool I installed is Afterburner.

Turns out that I can run MSI Afterburner with nothing overclocked, and if driver verifier is running - I can easily crash my system when I fire up HWINFO64.

Driver verifier has blamed HWINFO64A.SYS on both BSOD's.

Is this a known incompatibility?

Does it mean the system crashes also when only MSI AB is running, or every time when you start HWiNFO, or when they both are running ?
Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File of the BSOD and I will analyze it.

Martin said:
Does it mean the system crashes also when only MSI AB is running, or every time when you start HWiNFO, or when they both are running ?
Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File of the BSOD and I will analyze it.

Just re-enabled driver verifier.

Rebooted and the only software I started was HWINFO64.  AB is installed, but I did not launch it.  (And to be clear, I have launched HWINFO64 dozens of times over the past 2 weeks as I slowly installed things.  AB is the only recent install)

HWINFO doesn't fully launch.  If driver verifier is not configured, everything is fine.  (Although the whole reason I'm doing this is spurious BSOD's, so if I waited long enough even w/o driver verifier...)

Attached the debug file.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    72.3 KB · Views: 1
That looks like Driver Verifier doesn't like some actions performed by HWiNFO, but there's no other way how to do that (access certain parts of hardware).
So if HWiNFO runs fine without Driver Verifier then it's OK.
Anyway, I'm currently rewriting the whole kernel access/driver in HWiNFO to improve security (a huge task). This might resolve the problem with Driver Verifier too.

Martin said:
That looks like Driver Verifier doesn't like some actions performed by HWiNFO, but there's no other way how to do that (access certain parts of hardware).
So if HWiNFO runs fine without Driver Verifier then it's OK.
Anyway, I'm currently rewriting the whole kernel access/driver in HWiNFO to improve security (a huge task). This might resolve the problem with Driver Verifier too.

What's interesting though is without afterburner, I can run HWINFO (and a ton of other things to tax my drivers), without issue.  (With driver verifier)

But as soon as I install AB, and if I'm running driver verifier and I launch HWINFO...  BSOD.

I was working to track down BSOD's that were intermittent.  Driver verifier helps make them less so.

Now that I have installed AB, I'll keep HWINFO running, tax my system - and let it run for days.  We'll see what happens but I suspect I'll get a BSOD later.

That said I have a hard time pointing fingers anywhere specific, as it didn't have a problem until I installed AB.

Back