Bus Clock dropping under gaming load

I've been recently having a problem (I don't know exactly how long this has been going on for) that I noticed. During gaming load my Bus clock will drop significantly dropping my CPU frequency with it as well. Yesterday it dropped to 93.8 bringing my CPU frequency down from 4500MHz to 4221MHz which is the worst drop I've seen. Today the Bus clock dropped to 98.9, and the day before yesterday it was around 95.

I have done a stress test too at 100% load for about 15 minutes or so just to see what would happen, and it does not drop at all below 100. My bus clock is manually set to 100 in BIOS. (I have tested this overclock 12hrs stable beforehand, this was just a test.)

I have an i7 2600k, and by gaming load, I mean the cpu can hit 60-80% due to horrible game optimization for CPU.

Is this just a bug in the software? I don't understand how a bus clock can drop that low with it set to 100 in BIOS.

Please, any help would be appreciated. I hope to hear back soon, I'm very worried about this issue.

EDIT: I'm using HWinfo version 5.36

i am not sure, but i think there is no sensor for blk in hardware.
the bus clock is measured by a software loop with help of the system timer.
windows is a multitasking system, so there may be not enough time
for correct measuring on heavy (gaming) loads.

RolloZ170 is right about accurately measuring BCLK. Only some CPUs (Intel Skylake and later) are able to accurately measure BCLK.
For other CPUs the clock is measured using timing techniques, which under high system load can cause drops.
You can disable the Periodic Polling of Bus clock in HWiNFO settings, or use the latest Beta version of HWiNFO which disables this by default on Windows 10 RS4 1803 version.

Thank you both for the quick replies. This is such a relief.

Its just odd that at full load during a stress test it doesn't drop but during gaming it will. I'm going to disable periodic polling right away.

bioshockinfinite said:
Thank you both for the quick replies. This is such a relief.

Its just odd that at full load during a stress test it doesn't drop but during gaming it will. I'm going to disable periodic polling right away.

Games use several techniques to get more or ALL priority.
Games maybe use same timers that are use for measuring blk.

Back