Can HWiNFO64 be started in the Windows "Safe mode"?

Hi!
I am running Windows 7.
Is it possible to start HWiNFO64 in the Safe mode?
When I double click the icon I am getting an error:
"Cannot install HWiNFO64 driver! Check user rights and antivirus settings."
The same happens when I try to run it as the Administrator.
Thank you.

By default Windows starts only a limited set of drivers in Safe Mode.
You might try to add this key into registry:

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\HWiNFO32]
@="Service"

and see if that will help.

To put that entry into registry you can paste the above code into a plain text file (using notepad), save as any file ending with .reg and then executing the file (as Administrator).

Martin said:
By default Windows starts only a limited set of drivers in Safe Mode.
You might try to add this key into registry:

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\HWiNFO32]
@="Service"

and see if that will help.

To put that entry into registry you can paste the above code into a plain text file (using notepad), save as any file ending with .reg and then executing the file (as Administrator).

Hi, Martin.

Thanks for your reply. I could not run the text file with the .reg extension, so I edited the registry manually. Unfortunately, the program still does not start. I am getting the same error message. Any other ideas?

I'm afraid no other ideas. Have you rebooted the machine after entering that key?

Martin said:
I'm afraid no other ideas. Have you rebooted the machine after entering that key?

That is sad, but thanks anyway. That's a great program, it is very handy (when my computer is not broken). Maybe in the future you could think of some workaround. Sometimes people need to troubleshoot their computers, and all they have available is the Safe mode.

Regarding your question: yes, I rebooted the computer, twice, as of now. I also tried both "HWiNFO32" and "HWiNFO64" in the subkey, but alas, neither had worked so far.

Perhaps it might work if you'd run HWiNFO with the Persistent Driver option enabled on a full Windows boot, but I assume that machine is unable to perform such boot.

Martin said:
Perhaps it might work if you'd run HWiNFO with the Persistent Driver option enabled on a full Windows boot, but I assume that machine is unable to perform such boot.

Thanks for the hint, Martin. Unfortunately that did not help either.

I am in a process of troubleshooting my laptop, it appears to have a failing GPU, so currently it is not very stable. A thing to note, though. After I have enabled the Persistent Driver option in the full Windows boot, it remained checked in the Safe Mode. Yet, I am getting the same error message in the Safe Mode. The program runs flawlessly in the normal mode.

Perhaps it might help to change the HWiNFO driver start mode to "boot" when having it installed in the normal mode.
This might be done using the following command (Command prompt as Admin):
sc config hwinfo32 start= boot

and then try to boot in Safe Mode.

Martin said:
Perhaps it might help to change the HWiNFO driver start mode to "boot" when having it installed in the normal mode.
This might be done using the following command (Command prompt as Admin):
sc config hwinfo32 start= boot

and then try to boot in Safe Mode.

Thank you, Martin. The latter hint finally did the job. Now HWiNFO64 starts and runs flawlessly in the Windows Safe mode.

My wish for a future release: it would be great if this task could be accomplished from the Safe mode alone to help those who do not have access to the normal boot, and it would be great if this task could be done automatically - like a button click or a checkbox.

Anyway, a great program, I like it a LOT, and I wish you the best.

Thank you for the feedback, it's great to hear that we have a solution.
Will consider such an option for a future release.

Back